Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Why do people (my wife definitely does) have what I call an (unrealistic) idealistic view of the world and outcomes ?

For Instance...my wife will say about a holiday that's 'probably' not going to happen?.
'I dont know why they can't just refund you'

Now I have realistic view of the world and outcomes . My answer is...
'Because if they did for everyone, they'd probably go bust overnight'

Idealism vs realism.

My wife is probably morally right but with her idealist view, is constantly disappointed with outcomes.
As a realist, I'm not.

Who is right ?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Why do farmers wear white doctor's coats when they show off their prize cow at the country show, but at no other time?

Why do gurners wear a horse collar when competing?

Why do store men no longer wear a brown dust coat and when did that cease?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I watch many online videos of men's shoes. Nothing kinky or anything like that,i just like nice shoes and more so nice polished shoes. My 'can't get my head round it' problem is that on the subject of men's brogue shoes,i keep hearing that they were first made for farm labourers. The holes in the pattern we see today don't go all the way through the leather. They're there for aesthetic reasons. The original brogue shoe had the holes going all the way through the leather,for according to what i hear,to let water out when the farm labourer had to stand in a wet field or a stream. My question is surely with such holes the water will get in through the hole as well as being let out by the hole.Ok,that's it. I just had to mention it!

Gunk

Guru
I watch many online videos of men's shoes. Nothing kinky or anything like that,i just like nice shoes and more so nice polished shoes. My 'can't get my head round it' problem is that on the subject of men's brogue shoes,i keep hearing that they were first made for farm labourers. The holes in the pattern we see today don't go all the way through the leather. They're there for aesthetic reasons. The original brogue shoe had the holes going all the way through the leather,for according to what i hear,to let water out when the farm labourer had to stand in a wet field or a stream. My question is surely with such holes the water will get in through the hole as well as being let out by the hole.Ok,that's it. I just had to mention it!

You need to get out more!

mustang1

Guru
The "Wisdom" of Crowds.

Wifi providers who claim speed X and realistically give speed Y where Y is at most 0.1 of X.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Why is "shan't" usually spelt "shan't" and not "sha'n't"? I have seen it spelt "sha'n't" recently in an old book.
Similar to the reason people usually write do's & don'ts, tho' it makes no strict grammatical sense: it's clear. English is generally very practical when push comes to shove.

woodbutcher

Veteran
And why is crème fraîche called crème fraîche, when 'crème fraîche' is just French for 'fresh cream', but crème fraîche isn't just fresh cream.
Depends on which country you are in. The cream in the UK is pasteurised and has added butter fat and a fermenting agent. In France it isn't pasteurised (bizarre that) and ferments au naturelle ....of course l may be biassed or just wrong but only a bit wrong^_^

woodbutcher

Veteran
I could compile a list, that would show a disproportionately high level of a's b's and c's in the commonly grown vegetable world.

It might however have to wait.. But not forever.

I did once compiled two contrasting lists in order to establish the proper* pronunciation of scone.. So I do have form :whistle:

And of course, we here are all agreed that it *should rhyme with.

bone
cone
clone
drone
hone
lone
stone
tone
xylophone.
and
zone.

But some will insist upon making it sound like gone :wacko: