Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Now, a genuine phenomenon wot I have observed.

On BCC News during the weekday mornings they roll out the best middle aged crumpet to do the news and weather. At the weekend, the news presenters and weather chicks are distinctly less attractive. Do the better looking ones charge more for working weekends, or is their a finite supply so they ration the hottest totty for peak viewing times? I feel we should know.

Watch Russia Today. The quality of the newsreader totty is amazing.

D

Deleted member 26715

Watch Russia Today. The quality of the newsreader totty is amazing.
But hey are stuck in the 60's what's yours & @Drago's excuse?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
How did the massively flawed concept of "Bargain Hunt" get past the programme commissioners? The guy who had the idea should have been whipped.

The basic concept of course is to buy some old things cheap, then see if you can sell them for a profit. So far so good in theory.

But the reality and the big flaw should have been clear after a week: Your contestants are buying their old things at retail prices in dedicated antique dealers' shops, from dealers who know what they're doing and what things are worth. Dealers of course aren't stupid / a charity, so the mug is paying a premium. Then our heroes go off to sell those things at an auction - The very place where the dealers go to pick up cheap stuff that they can clean up and put on sale in their retail shop.

Never going to work was it? "The blues made a small loss today, and the reds an even bigger loss!"
No, you don't say? Well bugger me. Something tells me you haven't quite got the idea of this antiques profit making thing, mister BBC.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd just be happy if they got it right sometimes, we're supposed to have had 10mm of rain before lunch, it hasn't started yet, if it is ever going to do, screwed up my ride as I was waiting for it to stop, but if it hasn't started I can't

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
But my argument in favour of it being scone (as in stone) m'lud, is that it chimes with the pronunciation of nearly all other regular nouns and verbs.
Well that's a pretty feeble argument, up against the fact that my mum said scon, rhymes with gone. And mums as any fule no, are right, always.

"A banana is considered an herb in botanical terms because it never forms a woody stem (or trunk) the way a tree does. "
Anyone who says 'an' herb is clearly an American, and consequently no kind of an authority. (Having said which, I love the idea that a banana is actually a herb!)

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well that's a pretty feeble argument, up against the fact that my mum said scon, rhymes with gone. And mums as any fule no, are right, always.

Anyone who says 'an' herb is clearly an American, and consequently no kind of an authority. (Having said which, I love the idea that a banana is actually a herb!)

They actually say "an'erb"

And the vast majority of commercially grown bananas are all a clone of one of those 'erbs - vegetatively propagated.

There are already worries about the vulnerability of this genetically undiverse monoculture falling foul of pestilence or disease..

Enjoy your 'erbal bananas while you can.

They may not be so cheap and ubiquitous forever..

But regarding the scone / scon debate my swee'pea ??

You've really landed y'self in it there :eek:

I am a mum myself x 2

soooooo ??

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Is that like a Camberwell carrot?

i wouldn't dream of casting aspersions upon the pedigree of your good lady wife @Andy in Germany :smile:

It was more to point out the futility of trying to "Discipline" someone with that sort of heritage...

And as you know - I'm dead against all forms of violence - unless its strictly necessary for self defence.

A grey area in those days: Japan was not far from what we'd now call a "failed state" with better uniforms...

sheddy

Legendary Member
Reality TV - is that the format where the producers film hours of stuff, then edit it down (not necessarily in chronological order or audio matching the video) in order to tell a story that never happened?

D

Deleted member 26715

Reality TV - is that the format where the producers film hours of stuff, then edit it down (not necessarily in chronological order or audio matching the video) in order to tell a story that never happened?
Nope it#s just shite, all for shite's sake

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
They actually say "an'erb"

And the vast majority of commercially grown bananas are all a clone of one of those 'erbs - vegetatively propagated.

There are already worries about the vulnerability of this genetically undiverse monoculture falling foul of pestilence or disease..

They may not be so cheap and ubiquitous forever..

But regarding the scone / scon debate my swee'pea ??

You've really landed y'self in it there :eek:

I am a mum myself x 2

soooooo ??

Does this mean you can definitively answer the great 'Is a tomato a vegetable or a fruit' debate?

Top Bottom