Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why can't the people who made smart phones so full of computer power that they rivals the Apollo moon landings invent a charging plug that doesn't break?

Try not to be so rough with it dear boy :whistle:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I could compile a list, that would show a disproportionately high level of a's b's and c's in the commonly grown vegetable world.

It might however have to wait.. But not forever.

I did once compiled two contrasting lists in order to establish the proper* pronunciation of scone.. So I do have form :whistle:

And of course, we here are all agreed that it *should rhyme with.

bone
cone
clone
drone
hone
lone
stone
tone
xylophone.
and
zone.

But some will insist upon making it sound like gone :wacko:

Not forgetting Scone (the place in Scotland), which rhymes with spoon. :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Not forgetting Scone (the place in Scotland), which rhymes with spoon. :rolleyes:

Of course, we can't conclusively prove anything in English by reference to other words..

But my argument in favour of it being scone (as in stone) m'lud, is that it chimes with the pronunciation of nearly all other regular nouns and verbs.

A fanciful diversion, if nothing else :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
@Andy in Germany

Hating to tempt fate here.

But I've had the same smartphone accompany me around the farm, and on many a gnarly mountain and bike trip, for three years, with nary an injury.
(it's just a bit mucky, in some of its ports perhaps )

You boys are just so rough, and careless with things, that's the problem :rolleyes:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
But my argument in favour of it being scone (as in stone) m'lud, is that it chimes with the pronunciation of nearly all other regular nouns and verbs.

Unfortunately, as my ESOL students are forever finding out, English is full of rules that apply nearly all of the time. :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Unfortunately, as my ESOL students are forever finding out, English is full of rules that apply nearly all of the time. :rolleyes:

Don't you daily give thanks that h'english is your mother tongue?

It must be the most inscrutable muddle of rules that are there to be broken, to the outsider.

But perhaps all the richer for that.. ^_^

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
of course, we here are all agreed that [scone] *should rhyme with...bone
Everyone I know who speaks in a broad Cornish or Devonshire accent pronounces it to rhyme with "bone". Like many things, people outside the areas where these things were invented tend to pronounce it how they want. Like a lot of English people will say they are going out to eat in a "rest-er-ont", but that's not how the French say it.

I was accused of being posh for pronouncing it scone instead of Scon; my argument was always "speak to my Gran who's as broad Devon as they come, she says scone, that's how the locals say it". I blame the South-Easterners...coming down 'ere, mis-pronouncing our scones....

Top Bottom