Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Everyone I know who speaks in a broad Cornish or Devonshire accent pronounces it to rhyme with "bone". Like many things, people outside the areas where these things were invented tend to pronounce it how they want. Like a lot of English people will say they are going out to eat in a "rest-er-ont", but that's not how the French say it.

I was accused of being posh for pronouncing it scone instead of Scon; my argument was always "speak to my Gran who's as broad Devon as they come, she says scone, that's how the locals say it". I blame the South-Easterners...coming down 'ere, mis-pronouncing our scones....

Well i live in Debonshire - and this has been an ongoing - hot topic of debate amongst the locals for the thirty plus years I've been here..

We've always had to make our own entertainment - ;)

But lets not even go near jam or cream on first, controversy - centuries long family feuds have been predicated on less ... :eek:

D

Deleted member 26715

But lets not even go near jam or cream on first, controversy
Or how they should be without either

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
But lets not even go near jam or cream on first
There's no discussion! The cream (on first) is like the butter. The jam is the topping. You wouldn't put the marmalade on your toast first, and then the butter would you?! Anyway, I'm a fan of "when in Rome", so when I go to Cornwall I will eat it as the locals serve it and respect that.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There's no discussion! The cream (on first) is like the butter. The jam is the topping. You wouldn't put the marmalade on your toast first, and then the butter would you?! Anyway, I'm a fan of "when in Rome", so when I go to Cornwall I will eat it as the locals serve it and respect that.

We need more worldly wise and tolerant folk such as yourself Andy.

Then we'd all get along just fine :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Personally i prefer jam on first - i find it very difficult spreading jam on top of two inches of cream - it doesn't quite work.

But we'll not fall out about it eh ? ? :shy:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Everyone I know who speaks in a broad Cornish or Devonshire accent pronounces it to rhyme with "bone". Like many things, people outside the areas where these things were invented tend to pronounce it how they want. Like a lot of English people will say they are going out to eat in a "rest-er-ont", but that's not how the French say it.

I was accused of being posh for pronouncing it scone instead of Scon; my argument was always "speak to my Gran who's as broad Devon as they come, she says scone, that's how the locals say it". I blame the South-Easterners...coming down 'ere, mis-pronouncing our scones....

Totally wrong - it's neither "scon", nor "scone".
The word has two syllables and is pronounced "sco-en" which any Welsh person would confirm

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Scone should rhyme with loan.

I've heard stone pronounced like gone, in rural Lincolnshire dialect:
"Fifteen ston? Yurra big lad, aint ya?"

You're clearly not disciplining her sufficiently then ..:rolleyes:

You know not of that you speak. Beautiful Wifes family comes from the city of Kochi, on the Island of Shikoku specifically she has ancestral roots that can be traced back to a branch of the Tosa Clan, which rose due to the beauty and intelligence of Yamauchi Chiyo, (1557-1617) a woman who, to put it mildly, didn't take no sh*t from anyone. She used a mix of brains and beauty to elevate her husband from a minor samurai to governor of the region.
If it wasn't for the war the family would still have a claim on the ancestral home.

Yamauchi_Chiyo.jpg

Statue in the city of Kochi of of Yamauchi Chiyo with the horse she gave her husband: "Here's a horse, now go and kick some heads and come back as governor of the Island if you want any dinner."

Ironically I met Beautiful Wife in North Devon. She never could pronounce "Scones"...

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You know not of that you speak. Beautiful Wifes family comes from the city of Kochi, on the Island of Shikoku specifically she has ancestral roots that can be traced back to a branch of the Tosa Clan, which rose due to the beauty and intelligence of Yamauchi Chiyo, (1557-1617) a woman who, to put it mildly, didn't take no sh*t from anyone. She used a mix of brains and beauty to elevate her husband from a minor samurai to governor of the region.
If it wasn't for the war the family would still have a claim on the ancestral home.

View attachment 518686

Statue in the city of Kochi of of Yamauchi Chiyo with the horse she gave her husband: "Here's a horse, now go and kick some heads and come back as governor of the Island if you want any dinner."

Ironically I met Beautiful Wife in North Devon. She never could pronounce "Scones"...

i wouldn't dream of casting aspersions upon the pedigree of your good lady wife @Andy in Germany :smile:

And as you know - I'm dead against all forms of violence - unless its strictly necessary for self defence.

(in addition to opposing overarching heredity hierarchies as it so happens :angel:)

I was just getting a little ebullient of mood i think - cos its finally rained - hooray - and my tractor is properly fixed - so i can go a-muck spreading this afternoon - Yay :smile:

I fear the scones / scons issue will never be fully resolved - but thems proper tasty - and that's all that matters really :okay:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Do you say gone to rhyme with "barn", as is quite common.
No, I was only immersed in dialect up to the age of five, been a city boy ever since then.
Still like to hear old-timers talk it, though. More likely to hear cockney or estuary in Lincs now, if not eastern European!

Drago

Legendary Member
Now, a genuine phenomenon wot I have observed.

On BCC News during the weekday mornings they roll out the best middle aged crumpet to do the news and weather. At the weekend, the news presenters and weather chicks are distinctly less attractive. Do the better looking ones charge more for working weekends, or is their a finite supply so they ration the hottest totty for peak viewing times? I feel we should know.

Top Bottom