Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the point is that if you're born after February 28th/29th then every 4th year that birthday would be plus one. Since I have only one family member born before February 28th I would not get my birthdays right. I have enough trouble remembering the fixed birthdays under the current system. I'd be very remember to add one on leap years.

This is a terrible idea!

Mind you, putting the leap day in February is kind of not great. It would make more sense to add it to the end in which case the consecutive numbers system would work.

Alex321

Veteran
I think the point is that if you're born after February 28th/29th then every 4th year that birthday would be plus one. Since I have only one family member born before February 28th I would not get my birthdays right. I have enough trouble remembering the fixed birthdays under the current system. I'd be very remember to add one on leap years.

This is a terrible idea!

Mind you, putting the leap day in February is kind of not great. It would make more sense to add it to the end in which case the consecutive numbers system would work.

If you are going to just day numbers rather than mon this, the only way it could possibly work would be by adding it on the end, unless the "extra" day was not numbered, or was given number zero or something similar.

So three years would have days 1-365, the 4th would have 1-366.

1-60, day 'X' then 61-365 just makes no sense.

AndyRM

XOXO
I have had a theory about time for a while, which I believe is superior to anything someone cleverer than me could come up with.

Our system is stupid. It should be based on 5's and 10's.

50 seconds in a minute, 50 minutes in an hour, 20 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

No months or holidays based on lunar cycles, religious nonsense and definitely no daylight savings time.

Everyone will be upset and confused, but if boffins are allowed to come up with theories and get away with them unchallenged, I see no reason why I can't.

And yes, I've thought about time zones: I don't care about them, because they're all warped and weird anyway. Hemispheres can be split, but that's my only compromise.

Alex321

Veteran
I have had a theory about time for a while, which I believe is superior to anything someone cleverer than me could come up with.

Our system is stupid. It should be based on 5's and 10's.

50 seconds in a minute, 50 minutes in an hour, 20 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year.

No months or holidays based on lunar cycles, religious nonsense and definitely no daylight savings time.

Everyone will be upset and confused, but if boffins are allowed to come up with theories and get away with them unchallenged, I see no reason why I can't.

And yes, I've thought about time zones: I don't care about them, because they're all warped and weird anyway. Hemispheres can be split, but that's my only compromise.

So about 2.5 years to one orbit of the sun???

There are currently 31,536,000 seconds in a year, your system would only have 12,500,000.

Or are you going to meake each second longer so that the year stays the same?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The lyrics of Abba.
For example, from Mamma Mia:
"I've been cheated by you since I don't know when. So I made up my mind it must come to an end."

Yes - like the first time.

Dancing Queen:
"You are the dancing queen. Young and sweet, only seventeen."

I know it was the 70s, but a bit borderline.

Super Trouper:
"I was sick and tired of everything, when I called you last night from Glasgow. "

Why does 'Glasgow' sound wrong? If Agnetta had sung 'Oslo' or 'Malmo' it would not have sounded so wrong to my ears.

Also from Dancing Queen:
"Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine, oh yeah!"

Tambourine??? Isn't that an instrument they give to a backing singer to give her something to do when not singing. Might as well sing, "Dancing King, spin when someone gives the triangle a ping."

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cycle infrastructure signage like this.

1708533035659.png

kynikos

Veteran
Spiffing idea, nice and simple.

Erm, but?
What about leap years?
A lot of people would have birthday number that moved once every 4 years.
What happens to poor blighters born on 29th Feb?

The idea was to keep it simple and you're complicating it. But let's admit it just having days would make it difficult to remember people's birthdays.

My proposal is 12 months with 30 days in each month = one year. This would have the advantage of birthdays moving through the seasons so, for example, even if you were a winterborn child then, provided you lived long enough you'd have birthdays in snow, rain, sun and wind...

This would have the advantage of birthdays moving through the seasons so, for example, even if you were a winterborn child then, provided you lived long enough you'd have birthdays in snow, rain, sun and wind...

Sirrah, you are a genius.

classic33

Leg End Member
The idea was to keep it simple and you're complicating it. But let's admit it just having days would make it difficult to remember people's birthdays.

My proposal is 12 months with 30 days in each month = one year. This would have the advantage of birthdays moving through the seasons so, for example, even if you were a winterborn child then, provided you lived long enough you'd have birthdays in snow, rain, sun and wind...
You can do all that now, whatever time of year you're born.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Also from Dancing Queen:
"Dancing Queen, feel the beat of the tambourine, oh yeah!"

Tambourine??? Isn't that an instrument they give to a backing singer to give her something to do when not singing. Might as well sing, "Dancing King, spin when someone gives the triangle a ping."

My favourite 1970's annoyance lyric is The Eagles Hotel California "Please bring me my wine, we haven't had that spirit here since 1969". Wine isn't a spirit!!🧐 I think it should've been 'please bring me my tea. We haven't had that hot beverage here since 1963'. :whistle:

Top Bottom