Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Yellow Fang, 14 Nov 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Is the Old Trafford cricket ground the same as the football ground?

Accy cyclist likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

How is it air flight is so cheap when rail fares are so expensive?

3. Because they're exempt from a lot of taxes and have been for decades, so governments effectively subsidise air travel.

theclaud likes this.
  4. JohnHughes307

JohnHughes307 Active Member

Only in some countries... In Italy a 55 minute train journey into central Rome is EU2.60 because workers need to get into the city. In the UK it is about £30 because the privatised rail companies can rip off the poor bloody workers who have no choice.

5. Chris S

Chris S Guru

Why do people on TV being chased by the police always head for the roof?

postman likes this.
  6. Chris S

Chris S Guru

If people are born gay then why are so many prisoners 'gay for the stay but straight at the gate'?

7. Diogenes

Diogenes Off to that Europe before it closes

Much of it was wasted. I remember the 1/3 pint bottles being delivered in the morning in a crate that was put in the corner of the class, by the radiator. By the time we got it, it was foul.

There's also an argument that cow's milk isn't actually good for you. It's been linked to kidney stones, asthma, allergies, endometrial cancer in women and male fertility amongst other things. "Milk Is Good For You" was an advertising slogan coined for the Milk Marketing Board after the war - effectively the dairy farmer's union and it was they who successfuly lobbied government to buy their product to put in schools.

classic33 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Can't just be fuel tax that accounts for it.

9. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Reams and reams of instructions that come with products. Just bought a wireless mouse and the paperwork in every language known needed more package space than the item itself. The usage instructions in English maybe half A4 at most, the certificates of conformity, servicing centres world wide etc etc etc would wallpaper your hall. Why not separate sheets for different markets? As it is I've half filled the weekly paper recycling box with waste paper from one small computer mouse purchase

10. Threevok

Threevok President of the Not From Brazil party

Tear Tapes and perforated strips on bottle tops

Designed to save time and so I don't have to find a sharp tool to open them

Now, I just struggle with them for 10 minutes and then find a sharp tool to open them :angry:

11. Lullabelle

Lullabelle Banana

My colleague's dad owned his own business and had a lot of cash so she grew up in a big house, 3-4 holidays abroad every year, pretty much anything she wanted, then her folks split up when she was about 12, mum and daughter had to move out to a small dingey place, no car, very little cash because dad paid a bare minimum of child support. No holidays, no school trips, they really struggled, yet she talks about her dad like he was an amazing guy-her best mate. Ok she has the right to see her dad as she so chooses but the fact that he barely supported her and didn't communicate with her for a couple of years doesn't sound like a great dad to me.
    When she was about 15 she started working for him during school holidays and he took her on full time, 1 person doing the work of 4 people, clearly to save money, the more I hear about him the more I wonder why he is held in such high regard! Her dad, her life.

12. oldwheels

oldwheels Veteran

Blunt kitchen knives. I go to stay with a son from time to time and have an en-suite accommodation and d in l feeds me in the evening. I make my own breakfast and lunch as I am out cycling in the daytime mostly. Making lunch involves cutting thing like fruit etc. but the kitchen knives are always blunt by my standards. When I was an agriculture student I learned the importance of always having a sharp knife and this has carried on the rest of my life. Blunt knives are useless and dangerous. All schoolboys in my day had a pocket knife as a matter of course but nowadays this would give the powers that be hysterics.

postman, theclaud and Andy in Germany like this.
  13. No. One's a football ground. One's a cricket ground. About 5 minutes walk from each other, I believe.

Yellow Fang likes this.
  14. Smudge

Smudge Über Member

I've carried a pocket knife for most of my life, perfectly legal as long as its under 3" and doesn't have a locking blade.
    So buy a Victorinox SAK and you wont have have to worry about your son having blunt kitchen knives.

15. oldwheels

oldwheels Veteran

Smudge I actually have a 6 inch kitchen knife I take with me now. Since this is carried in the bottom of my bag I doubt it would be a problem. I also have a couple of illegal lock knives which I bought when they were still legal. What on earth is one supposed to do with such things. When I go sea fishing or diving I am also highly illegal but again how does one gut fish or open scallops with a tiddly little blade?

Andy in Germany and Smudge like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice