Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Given we have BBC radio 5 SPORT, why is there so much football and cricket on radio 5?

Chris S

Legendary Member
What's the point of keyless-entry if you've got to put a huge disk-lock on your steering wheel to stop people stealing your car?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Reheating food causes food poisoning. So why is it OK to repeatedly reheat the same lump of kebab meat on a spit?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
In Star Wars, why did Obi Wan Kenobi tell Luke Skywalker that his father was betrayed by Darth Vader, when quite clearly he wasn't. Why did he say Darth Vader was his greatest student and his greatest failure? I didn't watch Star Wars 2 and 3, but I gather Kenobi only had one student. On Tatooine, why didn't Darth Vader recognise his dead brother/brother-in-law or sister/sister-in-law? Why was The Return of the Jedi so bad?

classic33

Leg End Member
Kenobi was driven to obfuscate by two things:

• 1. he regretted his part in Anakin's downfall and couldn't own up to it to Luke
    2. he didn't want Luke to follow his father

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Similarly, I was always disappointed in the Lord of the Rings that Bilbo Baggin's invisibility ring turned out to be Sauron's ring of power. It seemed to give it two distinct and slightly incompatible functions:

1) It made you invisible
2) It turned you into a great war leader

I am not sure how it turned you into a great war leader. Perhaps it made you very charismatic, or a really good fighter. However, if you put it on and you turn invisible, your followers can't see you. It didn't turn Frodo, Bilbo or Gollum into great war leaders. Perhaps you just need to know how t use it.

Similarly, I was always disappointed in the Lord of the Rings that Bilbo Baggin's invisibility ring turned out to be Sauron's ring of power. It seemed to give it two distinct and slightly incompatible functions:

1) It made you invisible
2) It turned you into a great war leader

I am not sure how it turned you into a great war leader. Perhaps it made you very charismatic, or a really good fighter. However, if you put it on and you turn invisible, your followers can't see you. It didn't turn Frodo, Bilbo or Gollum into great war leaders. Perhaps you just need to know how t use it.
The ring gave power according to the stature of the wearer, so not the same for everyone.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The ring gave power according to the stature of the wearer, so not the same for everyone.

How did it work for wearers of greater stature? Did they turn invisible? Did they actually have to put the ring on their finger for them to acquire greater power?

Top Bottom