Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone think of a substitute for blue bird? It should comply with the following criteria:
  • It should be a bird with either two long syllables, or two short syllables and a long syllable, or it won't scan.
  • A bird you might plausibly see over the cliffs of Dover.
  • A bird that might be driven away due to war time activity disturbing its habitat, but could be expected to re-establish itself as a colony once the war is over.
I wondered about the Sandwich Tern. It was named after Sandwich, which is just up the road from Dover, but does not nest around there any more. It does not really scan though.
You're over thinking this.

There'll be blue skies over
The white cliffs of Dover

Profpointy

Legendary Member
How about skylark? They've been used to symbolise hope and optimism in poetry. Also, there's a slight naval reference. Sailors used to skylark about up in the rigging.

There's a song about that. I don't think they used the word "skylark" though

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Why did the "baddies" in old Bond films come up with the most complicated and always ineffective ways of killing Bond? Why not just shoot him?

Bond villains are sadists and narcissists. They don't just shoot Bond, because they want to brag to other supervillains about the inventive and long drawn out death they inflicted on him.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Infinity always got me. The only way I could rationalise it was by imagining ALL of space in a box....but then you instantly think ...whats on the outside of the box :wacko::cry:

On the subject of space...why is it you turn a light out...the light disappears (almost) instantly. So why can we see light from stars that died billions of years ago.

Yes I knows there' a logical explanation, but my head doesn' seem to want to absorb it :laugh:

I see what you did there (took me a while)

Reactions: gbb

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Can anyone think of a substitute for blue bird? It should comply with the following criteria:
  • It should be a bird with either two long syllables, or two short syllables and a long syllable, or it won't scan.
  • A bird you might plausibly see over the cliffs of Dover.
  • A bird that might be driven away due to war time activity disturbing its habitat, but could be expected to re-establish itself as a colony once the war is over.
I wondered about the Sandwich Tern. It was named after Sandwich, which is just up the road from Dover, but does not nest around there any more. It does not really scan though.
Light aircraft.

(I think you might've got confused about the purpose of poetry.)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Who employs Radio 1 Newsbeat presenters ?????

I just overheard one say

"Scotland look set to become the first in the UK to introduce a minimum alcohol price. So how will this affect the price we pay for alcohol?"

Seriously ?????

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Poetry has a purpose? :whistle:

Didn't Robin Williams' inspiring teacher character in Dead Poet's society say that the purpose of poetry was seducing women?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Swallows and housemartins, hmm. I have never heard them referred to as blue birds. Do they nest in cliffs? I thought they nested in eaves of houses. Also, they are not really like geese, they just appear and disappear. You don't see streams of them migrating, at least I have not noticed them do so. Still, they're the most plausible candidates so far.
blue_bird.jpg

Top Bottom