Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why do Slow Up & Slow Down mean the same thing?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The bible always confused me.

"In the beginning there was nothing, then God created light"

So there was still nothing, but you could see it?

Reminds me of the story of the mathematician, physicist ans lawyer in a pub arguing on which was the oldest or most fundamental profession. "well, said the physicist, God said 'let there be light'; clearly a physicist's job". "Ah, says the mathematician, before that, he created order out of chaos; clearly a mathematician's job" The lawyer, up to now feeling left out, thought for a moment then said "that's all very well, but who created the chaos?"

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The bible always confused me.

"In the beginning there was nothing, then God created light"

So there was still nothing, but you could see it?
I think you might have misremembered Genesis 1.

As well as misunderstood the metaphorical and mystical functions of creation myths.

Why tradesmen alway say "Free Quote" like ever anyone would pay for one.
I charge people if I think they are just looking for a comparison quote.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Can anyone think of a substitute for blue bird? It should comply with the following criteria:
  • It should be a bird with either two long syllables, or two short syllables and a long syllable, or it won't scan.
  • A bird you might plausibly see over the cliffs of Dover.
  • A bird that might be driven away due to war time activity disturbing its habitat, but could be expected to re-establish itself as a colony once the war is over.
I wondered about the Sandwich Tern. It was named after Sandwich, which is just up the road from Dover, but does not nest around there any more. It does not really scan though.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Can anyone think of a substitute for blue bird? It should comply with the following criteria:
  • It should be a bird with either two long syllables, or two short syllables and a long syllable, or it won't scan.
  • A bird you might plausibly see over the cliffs of Dover.
  • A bird that might be driven away due to war time activity disturbing its habitat, but could be expected to re-establish itself as a colony once the war is over.
I wondered about the Sandwich Tern. It was named after Sandwich, which is just up the road from Dover, but does not nest around there any more. It does not really scan though.
Sea Gulls scans well.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
How about skylark? They've been used to symbolise hope and optimism in poetry. Also, there's a slight naval reference. Sailors used to skylark about up in the rigging.

Top Bottom