Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
......and you can sit down at it, roll up your sleeves and show off you tattoos and drink cider with your mates. Pure class.

i could just do that, couldn't i ??

Right now - i have to sit on my trailer-trash porch to drink cider with my mates - but with a breakfast bar it could become an all year round thang :rolleyes:

Rocky

Hello decadence
i could just do that, couldn't i ??

Right now - i have to sit on my trailer-trash porch to drink cider with my mates - but with a breakfast bar it could become an all year round thang :rolleyes:
You'd have to make the cider yourself, though. Home brew is better........of course in my day it was British sherry or Buckfast tonic wine.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You'd have to make the cider yourself, though. Home brew is better........of course in my day it was British sherry or Buckfast tonic wine.

Well yes - most wholesome, that shouldn't be too much of a trial - there are over eighty different varieties of apple tree planted here - just coming into good productivity.

Of course a little too much cider

Might lead to a temporary loss of 'classiness'

Thus : -

As you can see - a little way to go on the tattoos yet ..

presta

Guru
Prejudices, and assumptions, that are annoying enough by themselves, but have also led to poor treatment, being justified, or excused.
So don't you think that a lot of tattoos are deliberately intended to shock?

This summer I saw a guy in shorts who was completely tattooed all over, and had a row of rings in each lip that made his mouth look like the radiator grill of a 1950s American car. As I approached, I was trying to decide whether I'm supposed to stare or not when I noticed I was about to trip on a kerb and looked down. At that point I got a "hello!" in a tone of voice that said "don't you ignore me!".

Rocky

Hello decadence

This summer I saw a guy in shorts who was completely tattooed all over, and had a row of rings in each lip that made his mouth look like the radiator grill of a 1950s American car. As I approached, I was trying to decide whether I'm supposed to stare or not when I noticed I was about to trip on a kerb and looked down. At that point I got a "hello!" in a tone of voice that said "don't you ignore me!".
I think the point is that it is dangerous to generalise. We can't draw any conclusions from your case other than one person with tattoos behaved like that. The danger of generalising is that we make lazy assumptions. I know a very kind local minister who has a tattoo. He is deeply religious, cares for the sick, elderly, bereaved families and is a wonderful man. But I would never suggest that all tattooed people would behave like that.

One person with tattoos might be trying to shock but it's really dangerous to think on the basis of that we know everyone's personality and motivation.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I think as suggested above peoples motivations will vary.

One of my sons has lots of tattoos, he's not trying to shock anyone, no.

They're just part of his 'cultural' life, I guess we could say.

The other has far fewer, which are significant to him, in ways he would probably bother to explain if anyone asked.

Your interpretation of the guys 'hello' was your interpretation, perhaps biased by your own uncertainty?

Every generation will find new ways of doing things, that us 'grown ups' might struggle to understand.

Just as our parents doubtless did with some of the things we did.

It's best to stay unfazed, if you look around the world, you'll see myriad methods and styles of personal adornment, it's basically self, or creative expression, one way or another.

We swap ideas and methods with other cultures, especially when we are younger, and perhaps more open minded.

It's part of being human I think.

Just cos we personally wouldn't choose to do these things, doesn't mean we can make judgements about the characters of those who do.

There's plenty of dodgy tribes with nary a tattoo between them.

I'm tempted to say, just glance over at the Tory cabinet.. But that would be bringing up another 'thing that's bothered me for a long time'

presta

Guru
I think the point is that it is dangerous to generalise. We can't draw any conclusions from your case other than one person with tattoos behaved like that. The danger of generalising is that we make lazy assumptions. I know a very kind local minister who has a tattoo. He is deeply religious, cares for the sick, elderly, bereaved families and is a wonderful man. But I would never suggest that all tattooed people would behave like that.

One person with tattoos might be trying to shock but it's really dangerous to think on the basis of that we know everyone's personality and motivation.
There are countless ways of dressing, and people know the images associated with each of them. People choose they way they wish to appear and the image they want to present to others. If you don't want to look like a cyclist, don't wear a cycle helmet and lycra shorts.

The brain generalises and makes assumptions every second of the day. It's necessary because it's not possible to analyse all the available information all the time, nor is all the information available. Optical illusions rely on the fact that the brain makes false assumptions. Psychology professor Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast & Slow is a good read, fast referring to the automatic, subconscious, irrational way the brain operates for the majority of the time, and slow being the deliberative, analytical way that it operates only when we make a conscious effort.

Rocky

Hello decadence
There are countless ways of dressing, and people know the images associated with each of them. People choose they way they wish to appear and the image they want to present to others. If you don't want to look like a cyclist, don't wear a cycle helmet and lycra shorts.

The brain generalises and makes assumptions every second of the day. It's necessary because it's not possible to analyse all the available information all the time, nor is all the information available. Optical illusions rely on the fact that the brain makes false assumptions. Psychology professor Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast & Slow is a good read, fast referring to the automatic, subconscious, irrational way the brain operates for the majority of the time, and slow being the deliberative, analytical way that it operates only when we make a conscious effort.
Yes, but sometimes we need to step back from our generalisations because they lead us to making the wrong decision. I have a number two crew cut - many moons ago I was a triathlete and spent a chunk of my week in the pool. I've never changed my hairstyle. I'd hate to be thought of as a skin head - do they still exist? - or a thug trying to intimidate people. To find out my motivation you'd have to avoid the generalisations based on appearance and ask me........as I don't look much like an athlete these days.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

So understanding all this, when you jump to a conclusion, you then become conscious of your automatic thought processes, and take time to reconsider.

There is nearly always time to do this, unless you are about to be leapt on by a tiger, or run over by a bus.

Most of the time its not necessary to jump to hasty conclusions.

It is, after all, how a lot of fights get started

:rolleyes:

presta

Guru
Yes, but sometimes we need to step back from our generalisations because they lead us to making the wrong decision. I have a number two crew cut - many moons ago I was a triathlete and spent a chunk of my week in the pool. I've never changed my hairstyle. I'd hate to be thought of as a skin head - do they still exist? - or a thug trying to intimidate people. To find out my motivation you'd have to avoid the generalisations based on appearance and ask me........as I don't look much like an athlete these days.
This is how accidents and disasters happen: when evidence makes it plain that people's brains don't work in the required manner, but it's assumed they will/must anyway. You know that a crew cut might be associated with an image you don't want, but you have the option not to wear a crew cut if you don't like the assumptions.

presta

Guru
There can be multiple reasons for a smirk......perhaps he'd just heard that he'd got the top first degree from Cambridge in Natural Sciences - unlikely, but possible. I'd certainly smirk if I'd got the top first.
What, at the time he spoke? Now you're just gaslighting.

Top Bottom