Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
:rolleyes:

Oh hello, are you here permenantly?

Or 'just visiting' from the 1930's ??
That was exactly the sort of thing that my auntie did when she was growing up on her farm near Worksop. She loved drinking cider and partying outside - even in her late 80s. When younger she rode a motocycle (an Ariel Square Four) and smoked a pipe. She drove ambulances during the war and organised the local Riding For the Disabled for many years from the 1960s. I don't think she had a tattoo although she was the best arm-wrestler I ever met. She died last year aged 93.

She was my favourite aunt.

Chris S

Legendary Member
There's just a slight, possibility that they're not too bothered what you think about it, either way??
I don't see how they could be?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That was exactly the sort of thing that my auntie did when she was growing up on her farm near Worksop. She loved drinking cider and partying outside - even in her late 80s. When younger she rode a motocycle (an Ariel Square Four) and smoked a pipe. She drove ambulances during the war and organised the local Riding For the Disabled for many years from the 1960s. I don't think she had a tattoo although she was the best arm-wrestler I ever met. She died last year aged 93.

She was my favourite aunt.

Go Auntie Bruce, hope I make her age.. :okay:

But please, whatever you do, don't tell the everso slightly judgey Mr Fang, I too have done a little bit of cider fuelled partying in fields, on occasion . :whistle:

I drive a tractor in addition to other 'big stuff' and have also bested a fair few at the arm wrestling, in my time :whistle:

Took out three, of a party of six, lager* fuelled Irish cycling men last year in fact... :whistle:

The remaining of the group seemed disinclined to take up the challenge for some reason :bicycle:

*maybe they should have tried cider for the strengthening effect??

But then, I'm also country trailer trash, and clearly have zero class, so ultimately conforming to type in the end I guess :shy:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yeah count me in on the tattoos aren't for me side of things. I just don't think it's very attractive nor "classy" either. But of course I appreciate I have a bit of prejudice there, much like I can't help thinking if I see someone with a big tattoo on their neck, I can't help but think "oh, ex-inmate". Another thing to consider: as a nurse friend of mine says who is incredibly against tattoos, a freshly inked tatt may look cool on a lithe fresh skinned teenager, but not so hot when it has that faded look on an old wrinkly overweight pensioner.

But then again, this thread is called "things that have bothered you", so it doesn't really matter whether other people are bothered (or not, and why should they be?). Though granted I can't say this has bothered me that much, but when I do see a tattooed person, I do think "they'd look so much nicer without that". When you have a title that is "things that have bothered you" it's inevitable that personal prejudices will come up and subjective opinions posted :smile: and sometimes, well, you just like or don't like something. And it's not necessarily living in the 1930's either, though I think (and thankfully) tattoos are now more socially acceptable (sorry still don't like them though).

My favourite tattoo ever was from the "We're the Millers" movie. A movie that surprized me and made me chuckle.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
Their bodies, their choice, in my eyes.
It is, but it doesn't just wipe off like makeup.
It would appear "shock horror" that the following generations, have slightly different ideas to us about notions of what is, or isn't attractive. :blink:
When it comes to people's view of what's attractive, tastes change? Yes, they do. I had a girlfriend who had a large ugly scar on her arm where she had had a tattoo removed. She didn't like to talk about it, so it was obviously a sensitive issue.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It is, but it doesn't just wipe off like makeup.

When it comes to people's view of what's attractive, tastes change? Yes, they do. I had a girlfriend who had a large ugly scar on her arm where she had had a tattoo removed. She didn't like to talk about it, so it was obviously a sensitive issue.

Yeah I'd worked out that thing about them not wiping off too ..

My main problem wasn't whether or not people did, or didn't, like the look of tattoos - no i don't particularly like them either - i have none myself.

It was more this thing of feeling entitled to judge someones character by the fact of them having tattoos.

Yeah count me in on the tattoos aren't for me side of things. I just don't think it's very attractive nor "classy" either. But of course I appreciate I have a bit of prejudice there, much like I can't help thinking if I see someone with a big tattoo on their neck, I can't help but think "oh, ex-inmate". Another thing to consider: as a nurse friend of mine says who is incredibly against tattoos, a freshly inked tatt may look cool on a lithe fresh skinned teenager, but not so hot when it has that faded look on an old wrinkly overweight pensioner.

But then again, this thread is called "things that have bothered you", so it doesn't really matter whether other people are bothered (or not, and why should they be?). Though granted I can't say this has bothered me that much, but when I do see a tattooed person, I do think "they'd look so much nicer without that". When you have a title that is "things that have bothered you" it's inevitable that personal prejudices will come up and subjective opinions posted :smile: and sometimes, well, you just like or don't like something. And it's not necessarily living in the 1930's either, though I think (and thankfully) tattoos are now more socially acceptable (sorry still don't like them though).

My favourite tattoo ever was from the "We're the Millers" movie. A movie that surprized me and made me chuckle.

Like a young womans "classiness" for example - and by implication whether or not she is worthy of respect.

Prejudices, and assumptions, that are annoying enough by themselves, but have also led to poor treatment, being justified, or excused.

Many - indeed probably most of the younger people I associate with, do have tattoos, that have some significance for them - and they are all - to a man and woman good hearted people - who are just getting on with life - sometimes in difficult circumstances.

It's their choice, none of my business, and they've heard the "Oh but what about when you're old?" argument many times over, they're not bothered by it, they're living in the present, but also have far bigger worries about the future, such as climate change, the prospect of ridiculous housing costs long term, their education, the generally troubling state of the world, all this is far more important to them than what they'll look like when they are in their sixties.

(There will of course then be a lot of sixty year olds with faded tattoos.., It will be totally normal .. part of their history even.. with some stories to tell .. some might regret it - many probably won't .. just like plenty of other life choices)

But, incidentally, many of these young people actually seem to be taking better care of their bodies overall than many a youth did, in my youth.

Heathier diets, intentional exercise, moderate drinking, not smoking, an awareness of mental health, all seem far more common in the youth of today.

Far more so than when I was their age.

That strikes me as a very good investment for their futures.

'Classy' tattoos or no.

So i guess "A thing that bothers me" is character assumptions being made about young people based on their appearance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1573054045401.png

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Kitchen breakfast bars. Does anyone ever use them?

i haven't got one - but i intend to have something like it - in the house that might get built here one day.

I've used them at other peoples places and quite like the concept - you can do comfy sitting down kitchen prep at them, as well as eating.

And who knows?? It might even lend an air of 'classiness' to my life - that is clearly lacking right now :rolleyes:

Rocky

Hello decadence
i haven't got one - but i intend to have something like it - in the house that might get built here one day.

I've used them at other peoples places and quite like the concept - you can do comfy sitting down kitchen prep at them, as well as eating.

And who knows?? It might even lend an air of 'classiness' to my life - that is clearly lacking right now :rolleyes:
......and you can sit down at it, roll up your sleeves and show off you tattoos and drink cider with your mates. Pure class.

Top Bottom