Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
What's all this 'Carol Baskin' nonsense about? I just can't get my head round whoever starts these things, like those pictures of that bloke with a beard and all the tedious 'I don't just do...' memes. It's not amusing once, let alone the 7,000th sodding time you've seen it that week.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Great art - what's supposed to happen when you look at / listen to / read it?
Actually, what is art? How does it differ from entertainment or illustration/record/reportage/documentary? How does it overlap with craft and design?
It depends, but art can do many things.
Eg Help you see the world from a different perspective.
Make you think differently, appreciate that there are different ways of seeing or knowing.

It can enrich or refine your emotional landscape.
Stir your soul, make you laugh, make you cry, and make you wonder at the marvellous / dreadful experience of what it is to be a conscious human being, in an awe inspiring world.

Art has been,and still is used for social and religious propaganda as well - but that in its way also speaks to what it is to be human.

Craft is usually things that are made for utility, but that are also considered to have aesthetic and or cultural value

Reportage and documentary are forms of journalism that are supposed to record hard facts.. But of course there's plenty if 'artistic licence' that can be employed there too.

That's my take on it anyhow :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
What's all this 'Carol Baskin' nonsense about? I just can't get my head round whoever starts these things, like those pictures of that bloke with a beard and all the tedious 'I don't just do...' memes. It's not amusing once, let alone the 7,000th sodding time you've seen it that week.

Who ??

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
23rd October 2018,

The OED decided upon it, after extensive studies on how best to annoy advocates of language ossification.

Didn't you get the memo??
Reliable font of nollidge as always! I can only imagine one of the increasing number of Peregrines hereabouts must have caught the carrier pigeon.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Reliable font of nollidge as always! I can only imagine one of the increasing number of Peregrines hereabouts must have caught the carrier pigeon.

You're welcome.

Oh well, at least there's one more erudite Peregrine in our skies now :okay:

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Herbs - do you pronounce the 'h' or not? Americans seem not to.
Also, is it an hotel, an handkerchief, an hospital, or a hotel, a handkerchief and a hospital? It's 'an honest man' because the 'h' in honest is silent, but where the 'h' is not silent, should the word be preceded by 'a' or 'an'?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Herbs - do you pronounce the 'h' or not? Americans seem not to.
Also, is it an hotel, an handkerchief, an hospital, or a hotel, a handkerchief and a hospital? It's 'an honest man' because the 'h' in honest is silent, but where the 'h' is not silent, should the word be preceded by 'a' or 'an'?

It's going to take me at least a hour to work that out.

Top Bottom