Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
Why do a lot of guys refer to the woman they are married to as 'the' missus, or 'the' wife.

All the other relationships, seem to be 'my'
such as my friend, son, daughter, mum, dad, girlfriend, boyfriend, partner, husband, or even 'my dog' .

Is it a distancing tactic?? :blink:

This genuinely has bothered me for a long time.

I think it's just a friendly sort of colloquialism, guilty of using the expression 'the missus' myself, but it's not intended as a derogatory. Just a sort of daft thing, mostly used in conversation at work.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Oh OK

Does she refer to you as 'the husband' ?

I don't think I've ever seen, or heard that before.

I think if you were a Facebook / similar aficionado (which I'm not), you'd find it's actually very, very common now for modern women to refer to their partner as "the" something. "The Boy" is the most common and possibly most irritating. At least three of my wife's friends refer to their husband as such. In an era where women are fighting for the last scraps of sexism to be banished, is that a healthy and equal development?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think if you were a Facebook / similar aficionado (which I'm not), you'd find it's actually very, very common now for modern women to refer to their partner as "the" something. "The Boy" is the most common and possibly most irritating. At least three of my wife's friends refer to their husband as such. In an era where women are fighting for the last scraps of sexism to be banished, is that a healthy and equal development?

Well, being a 'modern woman' myself, I do frequent other social media platforms, from time to time.

But I can't recall having heard other women referring to their male partner as 'the boy' or even as 'the husbsnd' so I'm probably not best placed to comment on why your wifes friends do it.

I suppose people did used to say 'the old man'.

So, if the partner is relatively more youthful 'the boy' would make more sense as a development of that colloquialism.

I don't think it contributes all that much by way of 'banishing sexism' but I guess it's roughly equivalent, in some ways, to 'the old girl'..

And how we refer to people is significant, in how they are perceived in general.
So its an interesting development all the same.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Tyrannosaurus Rex - what did they use their front legs/arms for?
"One researcher argues that we’ve got it all wrong. Steven Stanley, a paleontologist at the University of Hawaii in Manoa, believes Tyrannosaurus’ arms were well-adapted for “vicious slashing” at close quarters, making use of four-inch-long claws to inflict deep wounds on unfortunate prey."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2017/11/tyrannosaurus-rex-arms-weapons-paleontology-science/

gbb

Legendary Member
Why do people say...'I can get 600 miles to a tankfull in my car'

It's factual but pretty meaningless fact. First thing I always ask in response is...but how big is your tank ?
If its say 11 gallons, that's probably impressive.
If its 16 gallons...not so much so.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Great art - what's supposed to happen when you look at / listen to / read it?
Actually, what is art? How does it differ from entertainment or illustration/record/reportage/documentary? How does it overlap with craft and design?

Great art - what's supposed to happen when you look at / listen to / read it?
Actually, what is art? How does it differ from entertainment or illustration/record/reportage/documentary? How does it overlap with craft and design?
In times past art was a licence to look at tits and ass, particularly if dressed up, or not, in classical/mythical references. And have it plastered all over a wall. These days the license not so much needed.

Top Bottom