Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
When the Leyland executives were shown the shape of the new Morris Ital by their Italian stylists, did they think:
  1. I'm glad we spent all the money, because this looks the dog's bollocks, or
  2. They were a bit disappointed
I remember this ad well. I especially like the very last bit with the contrast between the sports car and the Ital.

Dave7

Legendary Member
There are other reasons why he's not been considered a good sort than being late for supper...

13 is usually thought unlucky simply because there were 13 at the Last Supper (although wiki says that may be wrong). The idea of Judas Iscariot being late to sit down, says wiki, is modern.

From the Apostles Creed (1662 version):

"I believe in the Holy Ghost;
The holy Catholick Church;
The Communion of Saints;
The Forgiveness of sins;
The Resurrection of the body,
And the Life everlasting.
Amen."
I thought Apostles Creed was a boxer.
Or was that Apollo Creed :blush:

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why aren't there 13 months in the year of 28 day each, plus an extra day for Christmas or New Year, rather than twelve months of varying lengths?
The ancient Roman calendar originally had 360 days. Then, when they realized the solar year was actually 365 days, they had to add them in somehow.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The ancient Roman calendar originally had 360 days. Then, when they realized the solar year was actually 365 days, they had to add them in somehow.
The original Roman calendar was 310 days. Then Rome was bought over by Oak FurnitureLand who had so many sales that they were forced to add additional holidays..... which took it to 365.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I remember this ad well. I especially like the very last bit with the contrast between the sports car and the Ital.

I remembered Not The Nine O' Clock News did a skit of that advert, but actually it was of the Fiat Strada (Built By Robots). Still that was a Morris Marina at the end.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

They were idiots then. I'm sure the Babylonians were supreme astrologers, or maybe it was the Zororastrians. If I were a Greek advisor to Emperor Augustus, I'd have suggested, 'Don't bother naming an existing month after you, just create a 13th month and name it after you. It makes more arithmetic sense." Augustus must have established July and August as months, because Julius Caesar was so unpopular he was stabbed in the back. If it weren't for Augustus, the month of July would have been renamed to what it was formerly.

Top Bottom