Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why are checked trousers back in fashion? Haven't the younger generation heard of Rupert the Bear?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Why when whoever decided which way electric current flowed (I think it was Benjamin Franklin) did he get it the wrong way? And when they found out, why didn't just grasp the nettle and change it?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Why does mains current have to be bang on 50 Hz? Stuff like kettles don't care what the frequency is. Computers convert AC electricity to DC, so why would they care? What exactly needs to use 50Hz AC current?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Latin - why was it so much harder than every other subject at school? I did three years of it. I can't remember ever reading a Latin quote in a book and understanding it.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Why are checked trousers back in fashion? Haven't the younger generation heard of Rupert the Bear?
I have a pair, to go with a jacket and waistcoat. I bought it for attending beer festivals. I very rarely wear it in case people think I'm a self-gratification artist.

I saw a Rupert the Bear annual in WH Smith's. I thought Rupert the Bear was a bit surreal when I was young. It looked completely trippy now.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why does mains current have to be bang on 50 Hz? Stuff like kettles don't care what the frequency is. Computers convert AC electricity to DC, so why would they care? What exactly needs to use 50Hz AC current?
Blame Nikola Tesla. It was he who showed, and proved, that it works best. Much to the detriment of those who spent years trying to prove that 133Hz was better.

Range is 50-60Hz, not a steady 50Hz.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's 60Hz in America. Here it's 49.5 to 50.5 Hz.
Blame the Germans!
"When the German company AEG built the first European generating facility, its engineers decided to fix the frequency at 50 Hz, because the number 60 did not fit the metric standard unit sequence (1, 2, 5). At that time, AEG had a virtual monopoly and their standard spread to the rest of the continent. In Britain, differing frequencies proliferated, and only after World War II the 50-cycle standard was established."
https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/why-no-standard-voltage/

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Blame the Germans!
"When the German company AEG built the first European generating facility, its engineers decided to fix the frequency at 50 Hz, because the number 60 did not fit the metric standard unit sequence (1, 2, 5). At that time, AEG had a virtual monopoly and their standard spread to the rest of the continent. In Britain, differing frequencies proliferated, and only after World War II the 50-cycle standard was established."
https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/why-no-standard-voltage/

I wondered more why mains frequency had to be exactly 50Hz in the UK and not be allowed to decrease to 48Hz maybe in time of high demand. I read it's to do with keeping the mains frequency in step across the network, which I can understand (I think). Weird things would start happening electricity of different frequencies was transmitted along the same cables.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Every year I get a Christmas card addressed to my wife who died just over 4 years ago from Lexie. There is no return address and no friends or relatives can help either. Who is Lexie? Nobody knows and there is no way of finding out. I suspect she does not write the card herself but it is done by a carer. This for some strange reason bothers me.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Every year I get a Christmas card addressed to my wife who died just over 4 years ago from Lexie. There is no return address and no friends or relatives can help either. Who is Lexie? Nobody knows and there is no way of finding out. I suspect she does not write the card herself but it is done by a carer. This for some strange reason bothers me.
Yep - I can see that it could bother you. It will eventually resolve itself.

Drago

Legendary Member
Another thing that bothers me. Christmas episodes of soaps. Every christmas someone gets slapped, murdered, blown up, dissolved in acid, cleft in twee by a train, eaten by dogs, has a plane crash on them, or is instantly vaporised by a tactical nuke. This being the case, it bothers be greatly that the residents don't see the coming danger and go stay with relatives over christmas.

Top Bottom