Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think a lot of that used to go on. My PE teacher told us a story of when he was at school in the 70's, his PE teacher was a bit of a lurker in the showers. one of the boys took exception and called him out, they stood up to each other and had a full on scrap. The teacher got the boy in a headlock and his intention was (with no hands free) to open the door with the boys head and throw him out. Unfortunately for the boy, the door handle opened up the lads head and he was sent off to hospital!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Privets that take up a lot of pavement! Out walking today,i had to negotiate many of the damned things that take up much of the supposed public highway! There should be a law that makes the owners cut them,so they don't obstruct a pedestrians right of way! What pisses me off even more is that most aren't in run down houses. Most are from 'expensive houses',with flashy cars up the drive. If they can afford all that they can afford a hedge trimmer,or to pay someone to cut the bloody thing down for them!:headshake:I think some think the pavement outside their home is actually there's,so they obstruct it to make a point! Then to make matters worse you could encounter an overhanging privet and a bloody car parked half way on the pavement...with it's bloody wing mirror not even pushed in,so that takes another foot off the already narrowed down pavement!:ninja:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
:ninja:
The problem at the moment is there is nowhere to put the cuttings, the council recycling centres are closed.
They have their bloody big gardens to keep it in,while they open up again! On about the council tips being shut. The other day while out walking again,i saw 5 bloody bin bags full of hedgerow cuttings,just dumped in a lay-bye. Now,if the stuff had been dumped without the bags it'd be bad enough,but the problem was added to by the bin bags being left!:ninja:

classic33

Leg End Member
Why is the very last item on every single episode of Flog It always so massively undervalued by the "expert"?

:rolleyes:
Do they plant "bidders" in the auctions to "bid up" the prices?

The "expert" may be taking into account the fee's payable at auction. The hammer price is the only price they give on the show.

classic33

Leg End Member
The problem at the moment is there is nowhere to put the cuttings, the council recycling centres are closed.
Council have a legal obligation keep the footpaths clear. They can legally cut back to the boundary, and charge the landowner for cutting and disposal.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Council have a legal obligation keep the footpaths clear. They can legally cut back to the boundary, and charge the landowner for cutting and disposal.
They do have that obligation,but they rarely stick to it. These privets/hedgerows are a danger as they sometimes make you walk in the road and as we know some roads are very busy! Sometimes a three foot wide pavement is reduced to about a foot in width due to householders who don't give a toss as they probably don't walk anywhere!

D

Deleted member 26715

We have several of these privet & conifer hedges around here, including one that has now effectively diverted a Public Footpath because of its width, our local council aren't interested, I've reported several.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Not entirely true. Our garden waste is still being collected. We pay extra for this service which probably encouraged the operator to keep the service going.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
When walking along country lanes, why do people always seem to walk in the middle of the road rather than on one side?

When I see a lone walker going up the middle of a remote road I always hear "Moonlight shadow" thanks to The Fast Show.

tenor.gif

Smudge

Veteran
Not entirely true. Our garden waste is still being collected. We pay extra for this service which probably encouraged the operator to keep the service going.

Our garden waste collections stopped at the start of the lockdown, but just started again this week. We have to pay £56 annually for the service.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Still on the subject of overgrown privets,i forgot to mention the trees! These are worse than the privets as they have branches which as you know you can't just whack them out the way like soft privet material. One i see is an apple tree,so it dumps dozens of apples on the pavement,which the owner just leaves to rot and cause an obstruction. Believe it or not this same person every now and then makes small placard signs which he/she pushes into the grass verge outside their property,warning dog owners about leaving dog crap on the grass verge. Yeah,you can get off your arse to make those signs i say to myself,but you can't be bothered to cut those fecking branches back and pick up your rotting fruit you @!!~#! :ninja:The next time i see one of those signs i'm gonna pull it out the ground and chuck it back over their wall!

Top Bottom