Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
An individual can also apply to their LA Street/ Property Naming office to amend an existing address which would then be ratified and issued to the Royal Mail... there;'s a nominal charge.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The housing developer would have had to pay to apply to the Local Authority to suggest and agree street names, the LA to then liaise with Royal Mail to allocate postcodes.

Without a postal address and a postcode the developers can't apply for MPAN numbers which allow them to order and fit gas and electric meters.

Every new development has to have street names and postcodes and every dwelling has to have a full postal address in place before it can be sold and registered with the Royal Mail and the Land Registry... so the upshot is you need to contact your local postal sorting office- they will tell you what your full postal address is..
I know ourofficial full postal address. All in order as far as local authorities, utilities etc etc. Post and most deliveries, DPD Fedex, Hermes etc etc are fine. OTH I assume that certain companies or their employees have not updated their databases or sat navs, and use only postcodes for delivery destination.
Also had a lot of problems trying to notify change of address to various companies. Our property was not linked to our postcode on their database and therefore in their eyes we did not exist.

Last edited:
A while ago I moved into a new house - as in just built and on an estate that was still being built

The postcode was fine - the problem was that the delivery people used mapping systems that didn't have it on their map yet.
It takes a while for the data to get from the Postcode people (Royal Mail???) and be added to the mapping databases for every company

especially for those companies that use a lot of people who just deliver using their own cars - they often just use their own 'user level' sat nav rather than a full blown professional setup - hence they sometimes rely on being plugged into a computer to update

Normally I would give the correct postcode - and a phone number. Some companies allow you to add extra instructions - I would add something like "New Postcode - if not on system go to LLx 9XX (an old house nearby) and head downhill - then turn left etc etc)

Seemed to work OK

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A while ago I moved into a new house - as in just built and on an estate that was still being built

The postcode was fine - the problem was that the delivery people used mapping systems that didn't have it on their map yet.
It takes a while for the data to get from the Postcode people (Royal Mail???) and be added to the mapping databases for every company

especially for those companies that use a lot of people who just deliver using their own cars - they often just use their own 'user level' sat nav rather than a full blown professional setup - hence they sometimes rely on being plugged into a computer to update

Normally I would give the correct postcode - and a phone number. Some companies allow you to add extra instructions - I would add something like "New Postcode - if not on system go to LLx 9XX (an old house nearby) and head downhill - then turn left etc etc)

Seemed to work OK
I think you are right - my experience too, I provide a phone number, and then give a nearby postcode. But i was very surprised that one of top supermarkets got it so wrong. The replacement delivery got here OK last night - although I met the (supermarket own) van and guided him the last few yards - no street lights here either. Oh - and I got £10 'compensation' too!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Why do people let off fireworks during day light?
Why do people let off those moronic fireworks that do nothing but go BANG BANGBANGBANGBANG BANG BANG BANGBANGBANGBANG BANGBANGBANGBANG BANG BANG BANGBANGBANG for about a minute and a half, in a residential area, at two in the morning?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why do people let off those moronic fireworks that do nothing but go BANG BANGBANGBANGBANG BANG BANG BANGBANGBANGBANG BANGBANGBANGBANG BANG BANG BANGBANGBANG for about a minute and a half, in a residential area, at two in the morning?
Some retard has just done it here at 5:30 in the morning.

mustang1

Guru
Right now, it looks like Trump is losing the election and he's talking about ballot rigging and various other excuses. Some people dislike him for this kind of "bad loser" attitude. The problem is, there are many people like that in the world and yet these same people criticize Trump while having the same persona themselves.

mustang1

Guru
Cheap brands pushing out adverts asking "why are luxury brands so expensive?" and "luxury does not have to be that expensive [therefore buy our cheap crap]".
Like, one second mate... the expensive brands are making a huge profit, but it's not like the microbrands with their cheap-as-chips products but highly marked up are not also making a big profit. ;)

Top Bottom