Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why people jump on the turbo when it’s a beautiful winter’s day outside and the ice has melted.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When quoting car boot space , why it is done in litres? Who is going to fill his car boot with water?
On the continent, they do it in cube decimetres which makes a lot more sense to me and a unit I can relate to when understanding boot space.

When quoting car boot space , why it is done in litres? Who is going to fill his car boot with water?
On the continent, they do it in cube decimetres which makes a lot more sense to me and a unit I can relate to when understanding boot space.
But but but they are the same volume? Do you mean that by being “brick shaped” it’s a more practical assessment of the useful space?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Isn't a litre just 1000 cubic centimeters?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Why not usable volume as in width x depth by height? Plus door opening dimensions? I need a car that will accommodate a wheelchair easily and it is unbelievably difficult to find out what the usable boot space actually is. Instead we are given numerous details of 'infotainment' systems, touchscreens and other gimmickry - the like of which I believe should be banned as use is bound to distract drivers attention from the road.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Same with rucksacks, equally daft.
Except using water is exactly how they find the volume of rucksacs - in goes the dustbin liner followed by the required litre jugs full of water. The ongoing debate is about what constitutes 'full'. On mid size rucksacs the designation is quite conservative as people buy small and are then pleased when everything fits. But expedition sacs are topped up until it weeps out of the lace holes as they're bought on maximum volume.

david k

Hi
The metric system in its entirety

Top Bottom