Things that really annoy you ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's been a while since we had one and I've pulled out of the pc battle on soapbox for half an hour for a replen of ammo and supplies and could do with some mildly annoying things:

My current pet hate is people who say, "Hey" when they mean "hello" or "good morning". To sufferers of this affliction: why not just get "I'm brain dead and an avid watcher of American soap operas" tattood on your foreheads.

People say 'hej' here all the time! :smile:

One of my spinning instructors really annoys me. xx(
She's fat, has an extremely annoying and monotonous voice and has a crap taste in music to which she constantly moves her head to as if she's in a trance.

I think I'll just avoid her classes. ;)

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
People who ask stupid questions on forums - two that spring to mind from recent postings on a Thai forum:-

1) "My passport is full, what can I do?" Get a new one, you dummy!

2) "I am legally married in Thailand, do I have to get married in the UK as well?" Do you think that when the plane enters international airspace that your marriage becomes null & void?

Expats in Bangkok who think that just because we are both Westerners that we should be friends. I suppose that it is the same the world over and not specific to Bangkok!

People who are too lazy to use the search function.

Pete

Tannoy system at work. Sorry, it's just on my mind at the mo. Was talking to a colleague just now in the open-plan office, going over something technical, needed a bit of concentration, out comes the blast just above our heads "WILL FRED BLOGGS (or whoever) PLEASE CALL EXTENSION 5678" Why the hell can't they call Fred Bloggs on his mobile?! I feel tempted to disconnect a wire from the speaker, but I know I can't, it doubles as part of the Fire Alarm, I'd get into the most awful trouble (Dammit I design Fire Alarms, that's my job...). Mutter mutter rant rant .... xx(:smile:!;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
People who describe something very rare, or even unique, as "one of the only".

Like, for example, "It's one of the only working windmills in the county..."

It's "the only" or "one of the few". I've noticed it more and more on news reports recently.

Oh, and the woman in the next office, but you all know about her...

bianchi1

Guru
Cycling to work into a headwind and looking forward to an assisted return, only to find the wind has changed direction for the way back!

( Will from Geneva, nice to see there is another william j davies who loves the alps! )

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
People who loose their sense of proportion and start to get annoyed by trivial things.

This sort of stuff can only get to you if you want it to. Rub some more oil into your 'ducks back' and get on with life. There'll be plenty of real things to piss you off along soon enough.

Carwash

Señor Member
People who start every conversation with 'So, ...'.

Arch said:
People who describe something very rare, or even unique, as "one of the only".

Like, for example, "It's one of the only working windmills in the county..."

It's "the only" or "one of the few". I've noticed it more and more on news reports recently.

Nope, I still don't agree. Consider:

'These windmills are some of the only working windmills in the country.'

'This particular windmill is one of the only working windmills in the country.'

See? This windmill is a member of (one of) the set only-working-windmills-in-the-country.

I do concede that most occurrences of the phrase are probably inappropriate. But it's not necessarily always the case.

Carwash

Señor Member
Dayvo said:
People say 'hej' here all the time! xx(

You should rebel. Every time you're greeted with a cheery 'Hej!' respond with a surly 'Tjäna, fan.' A French friend of mine did this, and noted that the frequency of 'hej's he encountered in his daily life dropped markedly. ;)

Top Bottom