Things to do off the bike, to relax. Drawing/photography

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That’s good, centres the subject and diminishes the background well. Did you use PS?
A little reduction in shadow on the saddle, and contrast in the Brooks stamp may help.
I’ll have a go maybe later, but I’ve been doing another, which I’ll post below.
I use Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10. (I can't afford to upgrade/update it!) It has simple photo editing features which are enough for me. I mainly use it for drawing simple objects for puzzle games that I am working on.

figbat

Slippery scientist
@figbat, yes, that’s a further improvement... Oldhippy, thanks for giving us n image to play around with, what do you think..?
My approach is to decide what the picture is of. In this case I decided the saddle was the subject, so cropped and tweaked levels to give it the spotlight. A mild vignetting further highlights the subject. However the background still shows enough to tell the story of where the saddle is.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Another party attempt. I know what I want to do its getting it right. You've inspired me to start a new hobby I suspect. 😁

Attachments

• 20200912_134329.jpg
    20200912_134329.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Thanks @annedonnelly for commenting, it’s appreciated!
I’m really pottering about, with an IPad and Affinity Photo, which is more powerful and has so many possibilities, whilst I endeavour to relax.
I’m learning, which is always a blessing, and if you and others are able to comment, positive or negative, that’s even better! 😀

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Oh wow! Thank you it's fabulous.
You’re welcome! It was a quick effect add, but allowed me to remember that process to get the result.
That’s a photogenic building, btw.
It could do with maybe a little more, but it was quick to do, glad you like it.👍👍😀

Last edited:
OP
OP
stoatsngroats
I use Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10. (I can't afford to upgrade/update it!) It has simple photo editing features which are enough for me. I mainly use it for drawing simple objects for puzzle games that I am working on.
Thanks Colin, I’ve never heard of either, but what works is good enough isn’t it?
I’m using Affinity Photo, on an iPad. It’s more than good enough for me, and it’s great to see your and others efforts here.
We my even have jogged @Oldhippy into enjoying additional things to do when cycling 👏👏

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
My approach is to decide what the picture is of. In this case I decided the saddle was the subject, so cropped and tweaked levels to give it the spotlight. A mild vignetting further highlights the subject. However the background still shows enough to tell the story of where the saddle is.
It’s a nice composition @figbat well done, I like the closer crop, but Mrs SnG prefers @ColinJ s image.
Thanks for sharing and commenting.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks Colin, I’ve never heard of either...
It is one piece of software. It started off as a vector drawing package but it gradually got updated over the years to include some simple photo editing features so the name got updated too.

I used to buy an upgrade every few years but then they switched over to a subscription model. I am NOT going to pay a £16.95/month subscription for ANY software, no matter how good it is! I don't mind paying £50 every few years for an application or putting up with some advertising with free software.

... but what works is good enough isn’t it?
Indeed. The functions I tend to use are crop, rotate, sharpen/blur, colour balance adjustment, shadow detail adjustment, contrast, brightness... There is also a 'heal' function which I use to 'repair' areas of photos. For example, I've had one or two nice pictures spoiled by unavoidable overhead power cables. I usually leave them in to give a true impression of a scene, but if I am looking for 'pretty' rather than 'real' I might use the tool to disguise them. It can sometimes do a very good job, although are often some minor artefacts that show that the picture was doctored.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
@ColinJ interesting to hear how you use what you have.
I’ve tried a variety over the. Many years of digital imaging, and also don’t like subscription models.
Affinity photo for my iPad is a one-time purchase, for about £30, which I’m learning ow.
It has all you have mentioned, and more.
For removing parts, the rare similar healing possibilities, cloning etc, and each has its merits for me, as I most often don’t manage to compose without such things as wires, bollards etc in the image. It’s easy to paint the, out!
05614C97-71A6-4E11-8F4C-F7FF7B5A3334.jpeg

I blacked the background out using an iPad and pencil, it was very cathartic and relaxing!

Top Bottom