Things You Find On The Way Home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Right now I have a bird of prey sitting in a cage in the hall!

Spotted it sitting on the pavement near the centre of town. No obvious injuries but it didn't make any attempt to move or fly away when I approached it. So it's been carefully picked up in a shawl and brought home. Now it's getting piece and quiet while it waits for a bod from the RSPCA to come and pick it up.

I think it's a Kestrel. It's obviously a young bird but it's a good size. Hope it's ok, and it doesn't come back to get our rabbits when it's bigger! ;0)

There are laws protecting these birds, you can't go round stealing them from town centres! ;)

Noodley

He'll be waiting for the chance to pounce on you and peck your eyes out. A common feature of birds of prey.

Run away now! :smile::laugh:

longers

Legendary Member
This thread is useless without pics (for those who haven't had their eyes pecked out).

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I took a couple of pictures but they're not great. I didn't want to freak the thing out trying to get a good photo of it. I don't know what's wrong with it so I don't want it to flap around too much.

Not got the software back on since the format though so can't upload the pictures!

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

That's it away. Girl said that sometimes they can go into shock if they have a fight with another bird of prey, or if they fly into something, but they usually come round after a few hours. I'll post a picture once I get them sorted.

gbb

Legendary Member
Last summer, I came across a young Jay with one of his eyes missing...just sitting there forlornly at the side of the road :ohmy:
Thats b'stard Kestrels for you....:sad: Noodley was right...he's just luring you into a false sense of security.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Had an owl fly with me for about 100 yards on a night ride before Christmas. It was probably just on a recon mission for the kestrels.

longers

Legendary Member
We took a tawny owl that was missing an eye to a bloke who rescued raptors a few years ago. It was a great evening as he took us on a tour of his sheds.

He fed an Eagle Owl as it sat on my friends arm, that was a massive bird.

He had plenty of Kestrels and both of his own eyes were intact.

gbb

Legendary Member
longers said:
We took a tawny owl that was missing an eye to a bloke who rescued raptors a few years ago. It was a great evening as he took us on a tour of his sheds.

He fed an Eagle Owl as it sat on my friends arm, that was a massive bird.

He had plenty of Kestrels and both of his own eyes were intact.

Good job i wasnt drinking as i read that :sad::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom