Things you hate about cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Why?

Cellphone "users" I can understand, but what have you got against cellphone "owners"? That is by far the majority of the population nowadays.

Semantics… okay, I dislike sharing the road with the idiots who are totally engrossed in their cellphones at the expense of all else. You know the ones, the pedestrian who drifts into traffic because they are working through a difficult puzzle or the idiot in a car ( insert the make and model of your favourite German sedan here ) who is drifting through traffic on pure luck whilst they discuss the results of the morning meeting with Marvin over in finance.

Marvin is drifting down the A40 / I90 / Milan Autostrada / Hwy 401 ( choose one ) in a high mileage Volvo which hasn’t had its brakes checked in years, also looking for a place to crash…

Alex321

Veteran
Semantics… okay, I dislike sharing the road with the idiots who are totally engrossed in their cellphones at the expense of all else. You know the ones, the pedestrian who drifts into traffic because they are working through a difficult puzzle or the idiot in a car ( insert the make and model of your favourite German sedan here ) who is drifting through traffic on pure luck whilst they discuss the results of the morning meeting with Marvin over in finance.

Marvin is drifting down the A40 / I90 / Milan Autostrada / Hwy 401 ( choose one ) in a high mileage Volvo which hasn’t had its brakes checked in years, also looking for a place to crash…

Yeah, it was semantics. I fully agree with all you say here.

Mike_P

Guru
Pedestrians walking on the cycle path when there is a perfectly good footpath right next door.

IME they have a habit locally of suddenly walking diagonally as you approach :angry: In contrast and probably due to the amount of bikes pedestrians do tend to keep to their designated area in York.

Mike_P

Guru
Cycle infrastructure signage. Either non existent or dumps you in an industrial estate and ends, or you need the James Webb telescope to spot

Always seems to be a big fan fare when it's put in and then a complete lack of maintenance or review thereafter. My local signed cycle route is potentially confusing with a number of signs seemingly relating to the road rather than the shared pavement/paths it uses. After crossing the A61 at a pedestrian crossing as far as a petrol station exit it was fully marked out on the pavement. Now those markings have 99% disappeared. There has never been a sign at the petrol station exit warning motorists of the presence of the cycle route which was not marked out across the exit nor on the shared pavement beyond which turns a corner from which side roads are joined.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Loose dogs and the embarrassed laugh accompanied by " he only wants to play".
I've taken to stopping. And as they pass mentioning that he might get hurt when my bike and I fell on him.

A riding mate of mine has another tactic. If a dog comes after him when he's riding he encourages it - "good boy!!", "come on then!!" and so on. If the dog keeps going then perhaps the owner will learn a lesson about control and recall as they traipse after it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Loose dogs and the embarrassed laugh accompanied by " he only wants to play".
I've taken to stopping. And as they pass mentioning that he might get hurt when my bike and I fell on him.

Sometimes the dog goes for my feet and ankles and on my Tadpole trike they are moving beside a nasty chainring which could with any luck give them a taste of their own medicine.
On the Delta there are wheels behind which could injure them or at least give them a nasty fright.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The 2-way cycle lane running through the 1-way street in Kendal town centre.

So badly signed that pedestrians inadvertently wander in front of you plus if you are heading contra-flow you get told "you are going the wrong way".

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Sometimes the dog goes for my feet and ankles and on my Tadpole trike they are moving beside a nasty chainring which could with any luck give them a taste of their own medicine.
On the Delta there are wheels behind which could injure them or at least give them a nasty fright.

Yeah dogs get confused by recumbents and other non safety bike shapes

Top Bottom