Things you hate about cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sunblock. I hate faffing around with the evil gloopy stuff. Of course it's not a cycling specific issue, but cycling is pretty much the only time I wear shorts so have to contend with my legs. And I always miss a patch and get a painful blob of sunburn.
I came back from one long mid-summer forum ride which had been way too hot for me, temperatures hitting 30+ C. I woke up the next day and felt discomfort on the backs of both legs, just above the heels. When I looked I discovered very odd-looking triangular patches of sunburn...

Sunburn leg.jpg

The base of each triangle was obviously the sock line, but at first I couldn't work out what the other 2 sides represented. :wacko:

Then I thought about how I applied the sunblock... I had done it in such a way that the triangular areas never actually got any sunblock on them!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gwylan

Veteran
Sunblock. I hate faffing around with the evil gloopy stuff. Of course it's not a cycling specific issue, but cycling is pretty much the only time I wear shorts so have to contend with my legs. And I always miss a patch and get a painful blob of sunburn.

Hate the stuff. But got 2nd degree burns after being caught out. All sorts of residual scars and stuff.
The up side was being on morphine for a week. Boss wouldn't let me come to work or visit customers. So got sent to a conference on The Hazards of Light.

30 years later still hate the stuff, my face looks like a scrunched up paper bag. Now have to wear factor 50+

So, put a bit of cream on. I find the Lidl & Aldi kids stuff is the nicest to use

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I fail completely to understand the notion that cycling 'takes too long'.
P20 is the best and simplest sun lotion. Non-greasy and effective even in 40°C.

must be why I don't remember ever seeing a runner looking as if they were enjoying it. Can't imagine anyone mid-run ever thinking "hello birds, hello trees, hello skies" either. Or pausing a while if they see something interesting.
So I assume they are into pain.
Interesting folk maybe.

Sounds like a lot of cyclists too then ? Why else would there be books about the best climbs in the country?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My pet hate is fat old guys on electric bikes sailing by serenely, fag in their mouth and beer gut wobbling underneath their Lycra. This usually happens as I am struggling up some hill or other

I admire their cojones, sometimes literally if the lycra is particularly ill-fitting.

I learned my lesson a few years ago when I was pretty fit and still doing the odd time trial. I’d seen this rider in the distance on a relatively flatish section of road and set myself to chasing him down for a bit training. 6 miles later I’d just managed to catch him before the road hit a major junction, at an average speed somewhere around 25mph. I could barely see through the sweat haze and could taste blood in my mouth. My eyesight isn’t great and my prescription lenses in my sunnies at the time had seen better days, so it was only in the last 50m or so that I realised my nemesis was wearing a suit.

Last edited:

Petrichorwheels

Speed humps - particularly the really brutal ones - came across a load the other day - still need to check my wheels.

For they are only there of course for the damn car drivers and their sins.

And why isn't is mandatory to at least have a gap at each side for you to cycle through - couldn't be abused by drivers - like those stupid spaced pillows you get sometimes that actually encourage selfish drivers to straddle the centreline and drive straight towards you.

The world is waiting for a better solution to a driver created problem.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I admire their cojones, sometimes literally if the lycra is particularly ill-fitting.

I learned my lesson a few years ago when I was pretty fit and still doing the odd time trial. I’d seen this rider in the distance on a relatively flatish section of road and set myself to chasing him down for a bit training. 6 miles later I’d just managed to catch him before the road hit a major junction, at an average speed somewhere around 25mph. I could barely see through the sweat haze and could taste blood in my mouth. My eyesight isn’t great and my prescription lenses in my sunnies at the time had seen better days, so it was only in the last 50m or so that I realised my nemesis was wearing a suit.

But they would have only been doing up to 15 mph with assist. Should have caught them quickly at 25 mph.

Top Bottom