Things you hate about cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You can't possibly know the outcome without a helmet.

There are far more such anecdotes than there ever were cyclists killed by head injury.

Wear a helmet by all means, but spare the rest of us the lecture.

No but the consultant probably knows more than either of us.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But back to the topic in hand:

Pointless arguments about cycling headgear are a cycling related thing I could do without.

Not cycling is another. I binned today's planned ride because of the heat. Wife spent the morning complaining that I had ruined her morning by getting in the way and talking rubbish. As things have turned out it's not as bad as yesterday.

It is what the consultant said that I saw after the incident. Guess who's opinion I give more weight to?

If you don't want to wear one that's fine but there is no high horse there to sit on.

I quite understand why you feel the consultant's opinion is to be respected.

I fully understand and respect your decision.

(ETA) I could also be quite wrong in my assessment of the risks of cycling with or without a helmet.

I just object to being lectured and nagged at random (last time was on the train) when there's no conclusive evidence one way or the other, especially by people who ride less in a year than I do in a fortnight.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
must be why I don't remember ever seeing a runner looking as if they were enjoying it. Can't imagine anyone mid-run ever thinking "hello birds, hello trees, hello skies" either. Or pausing a while if they see something interesting.
So I assume they are into pain.
Interesting folk maybe.

To be fair, there are quite a few cyclists who seem to ride in a similarly miserable manner, a sort of "head down", fast-as-you-can, voyage of self-hatred.
Oh God, I even do that myself, sometimes!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I often hear this not just from cyclists but people in general, with a bit of gentle questioning it turns out they have never tried it or run a couple of times and packed it in.

I have done a lot of running and a lot of cycling, I still do a bit of running but not much (cycling accident stopped it for 5 years)
running is harder than cycling, you have to put in the effort to enjoy it, you can cycle with very little effort or put in a lot of effort and strive for improvement, but running even at a moderate pace is hard for a lot of people
I found running was more time efficient than cycling. My Saturday big run of 20km or so was over by lunchtime. My Saturday rides start much earlier and I'm not back til late afternoon. Which leads us on to ...
Mine is how long cycling takes! If you run, you can get in a good workout in half an hour! Cycling needs so much more time to have the same effect! Annoys me so much 🤨
Exploded knee put a stop to running for me

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I found running was more time efficient than cycling. My Saturday big run of 20km or so was over by lunchtime. My Saturday rides start much earlier and I'm not back til late afternoon. Which leads us on to ...

Exploded knee put a stop to running for me

I’m keen to get back into it. I am happy when I am running and enjoy the feel good buzz it gives.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What I hate about cycling is not being able to go out and ride (for health reasons).

On the running thing I'd maybe consider off road running but then I expect I'd be closely checking where I'm about to put my feet so missing the birds, flowers and scenery. Running on a road - boring, As boring as riding main or wide roads any significant distance. But I'll do the latter as a means to an end (ie the next quiet lane).

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sunblock. I hate faffing around with the evil gloopy stuff. Of course it's not a cycling specific issue, but cycling is pretty much the only time I wear shorts so have to contend with my legs. And I always miss a patch and get a painful blob of sunburn.

Testify! If it’s sunny I‘ll try and remember to rub some on my peaches and cream complexion. I sweat like Ray Liotta in the helicopter scene from Goodfellas when I’m riding, so more often than not the sun cream will wash into my eyes, which is just great.

Even if I’m careful and just do my nose, I’ll forget and then rub my eyes with my cream-impregnated gloves. Same result.

Testify! If it’s sunny I‘ll try and remember to rub some on my peaches and cream complexion. I sweat like Ray Liotta in the helicopter scene from Goodfellas when I’m riding, so more often than not the sun cream will wash into my eyes, which is just great.

Even if I’m careful and just do my nose, I’ll forget and then rub my eyes with my cream-impregnated gloves. Same result.

I've had that happen a few times; most unpleasant.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
But back to the topic in hand:

Pointless arguments about cycling headgear are a cycling related thing I could do without.

Not cycling is another. I binned today's planned ride because of the heat. Wife spent the morning complaining that I had ruined her morning by getting in the way and talking rubbish. As things have turned out it's not as bad as yesterday.

Next time you bin a ride, go to pub to keep out of the way.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Oh great. A helmet bickering thread. My favourite :rolleyes:

860942F7-57BD-4C64-971F-FCAE38E9FA8F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom