Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Andy, looking at it from the teachers' perspective, if a class of 30 children are told about their homework and they are told to record what their homework is, but don't write it in their diaries, then it isn't the teachers' job to individually check what they have written or failed to have written.

Children learn to take responsibility for increasingly complex things as they grow up, which is in itself part of learning. which you reinforce as part of your relationship with them as part of your own responsibility, which your teachers have initiated by bringing any failure to your attention possibly mire than once, which is then something you have to reinforce with your own children, backing up what the teachers tell you and not defending your children and blaming the system when your children get it wrong.

Being a parent is a learning process too.

In Germany we have a slightly different system, and homework is far more important than in the UK. In this context, the teachers need to actually teach the children the skills necessary, and that was what annoyed me: the teachers assumed the kids would somehow manage to write everything down Because they Were Told To, instead of actually teaching them.

In a system where you expect kids to do this, it is the teachers job to make sure the homework is written down, or find another way of communicating it if the children can't handle that method. I work in education as well, and if my method doesn't work, ie, if people aren't learning effectively, it is absolutely my responsibility to find a way that helps them, not pass the buck to the people I'm training or anyone else. As a parent, my job is to stand up for my kids if the system isn't working. The system is there to serve people learning, not the other way around.

As an aside, teachers always managed to communicate when they wanted to, so it obviously wasn't that difficult.

I remember teaching my kids how to do things like maths homework because they couldn't understand it, and the teacher took the attitude of "I've got thirty children so it's not my job" to help them. Of course, because I went to school in a different country I had a completely different method, but it still worked and my children understood it better than the one the teacher taught them, but then they were afraid they'd get told off for using the 'wrong' methods. I told them to tell the teacher to call me if she wanted to discuss the matter, and heard no more about it.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You ******* hypocrite! Posting pics of yourself on facebook spouting 'why can't we all be nice to each other' tosh-you manipulated someone into asking me if I was pregnant! In what way were you being nice :angry:

You bring to mind this Wiki bit about musician Sidney Bechet, which I came across yesterday:

Shortly before his death, Bechet dictated his autobiography, Treat It Gentle, to Al Rose, a record producer and radio host....Bechet's view of himself in his autobiography was starkly different from the one Rose knew. "The kindly old gentleman in his book was filled with charity and compassion. The one I knew was self-centered, cold, and capable of the most atrocious cruelty, especially toward women."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Bechet

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Context: Called in the supermarket on the way home.

There was a chap exiting the store, clutching a single red rose in one hand and carrying a slab of Carling Black Label under the other arm and a glint in his eye.

Me to myself: Some lucky lady/gent is going to have a belting night tonight...
Let it never be said that romance is dead...:tongue:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCemJAd3KZA

"So, you continued following the same policy, when I'd told you over a year ago that it wouldn't work long term.Last year I saw this coming and warned you explicitly that this was a bad idea, and then you ignored repeated warnings over the last six months, and now today you're come up against the consequences of your actions and you're accusing me of being the problem?"

"Well, good luck."

Lullabelle

Banana
You bring to mind this Wiki bit about musician Sidney Bechet, which I came across yesterday:

Shortly before his death, Bechet dictated his autobiography, Treat It Gentle, to Al Rose, a record producer and radio host....Bechet's view of himself in his autobiography was starkly different from the one Rose knew. "The kindly old gentleman in his book was filled with charity and compassion. The one I knew was self-centered, cold, and capable of the most atrocious cruelty, especially toward women."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Bechet

Her vile, shallow nastiness is so deeply ingrained that it is natural behaviour.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If it was going to be a real belter, he would have got some beer too.

Ah but do you not remember the adverts for Carling Black Label . A bloke does something amazing followed by someone commenting “I bet he drinks....”

Kryton521

Über Member
Some days I really hate me. On those days I wish I had had the courage to finish what I had started and simply gone into the blackness. If I could have one wish, it would be free of this "illness" that holds me back and has done so much to destroy me.
I would not wish it on anyone. Ever

*Edit. Never under estimate the healing power of the simple invention that is, The Bike!! Hard ride, cold wind, Feel chuffing fantastic, shower, sleep. Still feel fantastic! :becool:

Last edited:
Some days I really hate me. On those days I wish I had had the courage to finish what I had started and simply gone into the blackness. If I could have one wish, it would be free of this "illness" that holds me back and has done so much to destroy me.
I would not wish it on anyone. Ever

Many of us here know these thoughts. If you are dealing with depression, you aren't alone. Not that that automatically helps, but we're on familiar terms with the Black Dog.

It is an Illness though: it's not who you are.

And yes, it's a B*st*rd.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Many of us here know these thoughts. If you are dealing with depression, you aren't alone. Not that that automatically helps, but we're on familiar terms with the Black Dog.

It is an Illness though: it's not who you are.

And yes, it's a B*st*rd.
I used to refer to my CBT therapist as my mood hoover.

Top Bottom