Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Fist bumps by men in their 40s and over (or ever really) are ridiculous!

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I used to get that with my non-recycling neighbours in Hebden Bridge! They would fill a wheelie bin in a couple of days and then all the other bins in the street would mysteriously start to fill themselves late at night...

As for tourists taking rubbish away - good luck with that! Round here they just toss it out of their cars. Verges on popular moorland roads are littered most places that I ride. :cursing:
It's a nasty habit anywhere but Hebden Bridge is definitely too beautiful a place to spoil with litter. My sister used to live in part of a converted mill in a place called Luddendon Foot I think? I just remember driving up a bloody steep hill from the main road (after having already just driven up another from Sowerby Bridge) and it was on the right over looking a valley. It was very nice but one of those gated community places where you can't even fart without permission from the 'committee' :thumbsdown:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a nasty habit anywhere but Hebden Bridge is definitely too beautiful a place to spoil with litter. My sister used to live in part of a converted mill in a place called Luddendon Foot I think? I just remember driving up a bloody steep hill from the main road (after having already just driven up another from Sowerby Bridge) and it was on the right over looking a valley. It was very nice but one of those gated community places where you can't even fart without permission from the 'committee' :thumbsdown:
That is probably Oats Royd Mill. It is a fine conversion, especially when you see what happened to the mill back in 1989 - PHOTO!!! :eek:

It is in a fantastic location overlooking the Luddenden valley. Luddenden is below that, and Luddenden Foot is further down on the A646 in the Calder Valley itself.

One reviewer on Trip Advisor agrees with your assessment...

Angry Trip Advisor review said:
A bunch of snobs! No smiles from anybody around, if you want a break to have a nice few relaxing days then go elsewhere! A bunch of miserable so and sis with sticks shoved up their rears! Disgusting!!
:laugh:

JPBoothy

Veteran
That is probably Oats Royd Mill. It is a fine conversion, especially when you see what happened to the mill back in 1989 - PHOTO!!! :eek:

It is in a fantastic location overlooking the Luddenden valley. Luddenden is below that, and Luddenden Foot is further down on the A646 in the Calder Valley itself.

One reviewer on Trip Advisor agrees with your assessment...

:laugh:
Ha Ha, they have obviously met my Sister then :laugh:

Yes that's the place as I remember her having a copy of that photo herself. My children were quite young at the time and loved the trip on the Steam Train from Settle to Keighley. A lovely area though.

gbb

Legendary Member
As a team we fail to meet standards too often, clean as you go, toolbox and ladder security etc, niggly things but things that are necessary to comply with customer standards...basically just working in a self regulated professional manner, tidily.
Why do we fail ? Because the department manager is the worst offender.
I should add hes a very very good manager, highly skilled, extremely knowledgeable across a range of disciplines...and a nice fella.
But he is a get the job done person, his enthusiasm is boundless, but he is not interested in the fluff around the edges...that's why we fail.

postman

Legendary Member
E' Colin lad.Reet sorry abaht thee bin going missin.Dus wat eye does.Black felt tip pen,and put thee number ont inside of lid,lad.It's wat me and missis did,oh and make it large.Problem solved.

It’s what we do in addition to large numbers on the outside, if someone scrapes them off or paints over them, they might miss small descreet numbers hidden inside.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@potsy - there will be another exciting episode of 'Wheelie Bin Wars, Todmorden' in about 10 days time - watch this space! :laugh:
Well, the exciting wheelie bin news came sooner than expected... :laugh:

It has been very wet here today so I didn't fancy cycling to the shops and walked instead. I took a different route to my usual one, down a road, along a stretch of alley, and then turned down a side street. Hang on...

I spotted a bin in an unusual location on the pavement behind a parked van. I just had a feeling so I wandered towards it and saw my house number painted on its side. AHA! I took a closer look and discovered...

... that the street name was missing, so it wasn't mine after all. I had a look at the house numbers on that street - there was a house of the right number about 60 metres away. If the bin belonged to the household of that number then there wouldn't be a bin in their yard or stretch of alley. I walked down the alley and they had a bin there. With the right number on it. But ALSO without my street name on it. WTF!!! :wacko:

So... I have found a free bin with the right number on it, but it isn't mine. What to do? :whistle:

I decided that somebody round here has MY bin and this one must be theirs so I have brought it round to my back yard for now. There is no bin collection until a week tomorrow. I'll go out and check the bins next week, as planned. If I spot mine, I'll swap it for the one that I found today. If I can't find mine then I will engrave/repaint this one!

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
Well, the exciting wheelie bin news came sooner than expected... :laugh:

It has been very wet here today so I didn't fancy cycling to the shops and walked instead. I took a different route to my usual one, down a road, along a stretch of alley, and then turned down a side street. Hang on...

I spotted a bin in an unusual location on the pavement behind a parked van. I just had a feeling so I wandered towards it and saw my house number painted on its side. AHA! I took a closer look and discovered...

... that the street name was missing, so it wasn't mine after all. I had a look at the house numbers on that street - there was a house of the right number about 60 metres away. If the bin belonged to the household of that number then there wouldn't be a bin in their yard or stretch of alley. I walked down the alley and they had a bin there. With the right number on it. But ALSO without my street name on it. WTF!!! :wacko:

So... I have found a free bin with the right number on it, but it isn't mine. What to do? :whistle:

I decided that somebody round here has MY bin and this one must be theirs so I have brought it round to my back yard for now. There is no bin collection until a week tomorrow. I'll go out and check the bins next week, as planned. If I spot mine, I'll swap it for the one that I found today. If I can't find mine then I will repaint this one!
It sounds like you may have uncovered a major crime 'byndicate' operating on your patch there Guvnor! It might even be one of those gangs that steals high performance 'Wheelies' to order and ships them abroad, or a chop shop where they break them down for parts (Lid/Wheels etc..).. Be careful it could turn nasty :gun:

Top Bottom