Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Where did the BAME acronym come from? Shouldn't it be Black And Ethnic Minorities (BAEM)? And why do Black people have to be specified separately from other ethnic minorities?
It is Black Asian Minority Ethnic... In the UK, black and Asian people are the majority of non-white people so that would be why they get a special mention, and ME for everyone else who isn't white?

The other consideration is that it is easy to pronounce B-A-M-E... how would B-A-E-M be pronounced?

ColinJ

Facemasks...the new helmets. Discuss.
I'll bite - here's the short argument...

Helmets may or may not help you if you fall off your bike. Some people prefer to wear them, some don't. If they DO work and you DON'T wear one, only you suffer the consequences. So, it should be your choice.

Face masks/coverings may or may not help you and/or others if someone who has a highly infectious respiratory disease coughs or sneezes near someone else who doesn't have the disease. Some people prefer to wear them, some don't but if they DO help prevent transmission and someone DOESN'T wear one, someone else may suffer the consequences. So, it should NOT be your choice whether to wear one in public since you don't have a right to choose to risk inflicting disease on someone else. You DO have a right to stay indoors to keep away from the public and not wear a mask!

TL;DR - it is NOT the same issue!

Chris S

Legendary Member
It is Black Asian Minority Ethnic...
In that case broadcasters have been getting it wrong.
In the UK, black and Asian people are the majority of non-white people so that would be why they get a special mention, and ME for everyone else who isn't white?
They're still part of the minority ethnic community.
The other consideration is that it is easy to pronounce B-A-M-E... how would B-A-E-M be pronounced?
The same way that the 'ae' in algae is pronounced.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
For someone who claims to be so busy in their never ending toil and work, you spend a very impressive amount of time on the internet.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Where did the BAME acronym come from? Shouldn't it be Black And Ethnic Minorities (BAEM)? And why do Black people have to be specified separately from other ethnic minorities?
Because their much more special than the rest of us ethnic minorities ......:rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
Stop f*****g moaning and stop being such a drama queen. We're all in the same boat, we're all just having to get on with it. Clearly the country would be completely Donald if we had a real emergency if this is how you handle simply having to stay at home for a bit. Mental health, my behind - no one else is putting their pants on their head and a pencil up each nostril.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Stop f*****g moaning and stop being such a drama queen. We're all in the same boat, we're all just having to get on with it. Clearly the country would be completely Donald if we had a real emergency if this is how you handle simply having to stay at home for a bit. Mental health, my behind - no one else is putting their pants on their head and a pencil up each nostril.

An old colleague of mine (still serving) posted a similar musing on Twitter:

It's not the blitz.
Your forebears had to go away to fight in a war, or stay at home to have their houses bombed and set on fire.
You're being asked to sit on the sofa for a bit.
Come on, you've got this.

ColinJ

Dear BBC website manager... If you think that people might be upset by graphic videos such as a human brain being removed, it isn't a lot of good posting the warning "This video contains some graphic images" over a still from the video showing... a human brain being removed! :laugh:

ColinJ

If you were not in a big metal box which you could have used to kill me, I might have explained to you in person, but you were, so I didn't!

Instead, let me explain to you here since you are obviously too thick to work it out for yourself...

When a cyclist is whizzing along a fast slightly downhill stretch of narrow road and you come tanking past too close, signalling left, and with the only left turn coming up imminently, the (UK-based, where we drive 'on the left') cyclist is going to assume that you are about to 'left hook' him/her and take evasive action. In my case, emergency braking to a stop.

So that is why I ended up stationary in the road. To my great surprise, you actually also stopped, just ahead of me, at an angle straggling the centre of the road. You clearly thought that I would 'undertake' your vehicle which would then allow you to turn behind me. Well forgive me, but if you effing well wanted to turn behind me, why didn't you wait behind me for the one second that would have entailed!

I don't bloody well trust you not to turn into me now so I am not moving until you make your impatient turn and clear off out of the way. It is no use gesticulating at me... TURN OFF THE ROAD AND GO AWAY - FOOL! :cursing:

Top Bottom