Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Cut the cr&p, the only reason you think it would be a great idea I attend the course on the use of an integrated portion weighing system for grapes....is so you can call me everytime you cant figure it out. It's got nothing go do with maintenance, it's a production system, mostly computerised. You're looking to dump responsibility on someone else.
Not this sucker. Oh they sounded so enthusiastic when they were trying to get me in on it...yeah right.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
1) Why on earth would you design a house with a V shaped roof? I'm sure it's an excellent example of thinking outside the box but surely you can see that it's going to be leak prone once past its first flush of youth.

2) Why on earth would you buy a 50+ year old house with an unconventional roof design without having a survey?:wacko: Oh, the roof leaks - never saw that coming.:whistle:

1) Why on earth would you design a house with a V shaped roof? I'm sure it's an excellent example of thinking outside the box but surely you can see that it's going to be leak prone once past it's first flush of youth.

2) Why on earth would you buy a 50+ year old house with an unconventional roof design without having a survey?:wacko: Oh, the roof leaks - never saw that coming.:whistle:
1. A pointy roof drains very well?
2. Surveys hardly ever find real problems ("could not inspect flooring because carpets are fixed" on every house I've owned) they do however allow you to seek redress UNLESS they say (and they always do) professional inspection of electrics/plumbing/heating/roof may be required.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
1. A pointy roof drains very well?
2. Surveys hardly ever find real problems ("could not inspect flooring because carpets are fixed" on every house I've owned) they do however allow you to seek redress UNLESS they say (and they always do) professional inspection of electrics/plumbing/heating/roof may be required.
1. Does it? Better than a conventional apex roof? I can see that it greatly simplifies the guttering but otherwise I'm not convinced, and the fact that the V design hasn't become the norm makes me think they were on the wrong track.
2. Sadly the buyer in question doesn't seem very clued in. They really needed an expert opinion and I suspect may have paid over the odds without. I'm not a surveyor and the large damp patch on the ceiling above the stairwell rang alarm bells. I'm wondering what other horror stories may be lurking (most of the sockets are still 1960s style and the cladding looks suspiciously like asbestos to my untrained eye).

Thankfully it's not my problem but I don't like to think about how much this is going to cost them.:sad:

1) Why on earth would you design a house with a V shaped roof? I'm sure it's an excellent example of thinking outside the box but surely you can see that it's going to be leak prone once past its first flush of youth.

We have houses like that here and I've always thought they are a disaster waiting to happen. Never seen one leak though.

Lullabelle

Banana
Oh dear lord...are you still talking about this? Same conversation every day, try reading properly instead of scanning over and not having a clue, this really is getting tedious now

Acyclo

Veteran
"Your rear light is too bright". Riders with ultra bright rear lights ("it's for the safety mate") overtake me because they're younger and not as fat and I'm immediately blinded, so I have to stop until they are far enought away. I can't catch up to moan at them. If this is you, get a less blinding rear light you citizen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocky

Hello decadence
"Your rear light is too bright". Riders with ultra bright rear lights ("it's for the safety mate") overtake me because they're younger and not as fat and I'm immediately blinded, so I have to stop until they are far enought away. I can't catch up to moan at them. If this is you, get a less blinding rear light.
It is me. And no, I’m not going to change my rear light. It’s like that so car drivers can see me.

Cyclists head are a lot higher than drivers - it's quite easy to setup rear lights to shine *backwards*, not up into following riders' eyes.

I generally am against havnig lights that are outside the agreed norms, especially where they make life worse for someone else. Why are YOU special?
Most often they fail my standard shared space test: What if *everyone* did that? Hmm?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Cyclists head are a lot higher than drivers - it's quite easy to setup rear lights to shine *backwards*, not up into following riders' eyes.

I generally am against havnig lights that are outside the agreed norms, especially where they make life worse for someone else. Why are YOU special?
Most often they fail my standard shared space test: What if *everyone* did that? Hmm?
I've often felt dangerously dazzled by some cyclists over bright headlamps when driving, to the point that I've had to stop because I can't see anything else in the area.

If there was another cyclist with 'normal' lights or a pedestrian, I just wouldn't see them, it's selfish and dangerous imo.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I've often felt dangerously dazzled by some cyclists over bright headlamps when driving, to the point that I've had to stop because I can't see anything else in the area.

If there was another cyclist with 'normal' lights or a pedestrian, I just wouldn't see them, it's selfish and dangerous imo.
I maintain that a bright rear light is important and may prevent a car from driving into me.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Flashing red cycle lights capture my attention more than anything else on the road, but overbright front lights have caught me out a few times when i confused them with motorcycle / car / lorry lights and expected them to be further away ...

Top Bottom