Things you've had stolen from a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Not the question but I have had sabotage on occasion.
I left my bike parked up at a hotel in Koriyama, and someone stuck chewing gum on my brake block. The genius got it to the consistency that it striated upon braking.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Somebody tried to steal a Poundland light of my bike - I came back and found it flashing.
Fortunately I'd stuck it to the bracket with No Nails because it had broke.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
A friend of mine has had quite a few things stolen off his bike... Ones hes quite vocal about were his light mounts (not the actual light itself - just the mounts) and only one of his old worn bar grips.

Ive no idea why someone would steal tatty old bar grips but its even more confusing when this sod took only one of them.

I personally had never had anything stolen off my bike as I've been careful to lock it somewhere secure or busy enough to deter potential thieves

Personally I've had nothing stolen, despite a spate of whole-bike thefts from our shed at work. Guess these particular thieves are more interested in easy targets they can ride away than just selling on insecured wheels or accessories. Anything of value leaves the bike with me or is locked to an immovable object, except a mini pump, a £130 (new) pricey dynamo lighting system and a £10 cateye rack mounted light that's got a horrible crack in it. The dynamo lights are bolted on though, but anyone with a 10mm spanner or hex key could be off with em if they wanted, but I'm assuming common thieves don't know expensive lighting systems when they see them and I've yet to have any troubles. If I were to lose them, I'd perhaps think twice about spending so much again.

13 bikes-got 4 back and the thief of the first one went to jail for many months, Dahon seat post which was stuck in the frame as I hadn't got round to freeing it and it was removed with such violence that the seat tube was destroyed, damn shame coz it was my favourite city bike ever. Saddle and seatpost off my RSW 16 from out of my building which I got back and the thief was caught and prosecuted. Beautiful Brooks conquest saddle which had a heavy cable through the rails so I assume the thief unbolted the springs, I usually disguised it with a plastic bag but someone nicked that the day before and I was a bit lazy about replacing it. Handlebars, levers etc' carefully removed from my Spesh and handle bars, levers etc' violently torn off my Trek and then used to smash the frame. Brakes, brake blocks, bottle cage, 3 bells, pump and a few days ago 1 handlebar grip:angry:

Helenbells

Not sure if this counts.
Iron railings and six other bikes in '60's.
In one go.
Seven bikes all chained to railings as had done for six months.
Returned after work. No bikes. No railings. No wall.
I thought the Police would laugh at me when I went to report it.
No. I was the fourth to report the theft.

13 bikes-got 4 back and the thief of the first one went to jail for many months, Dahon seat post which was stuck in the frame as I hadn't got round to freeing it and it was removed with such violence that the seat tube was destroyed, damn shame coz it was my favourite city bike ever. Saddle and seatpost off my RSW 16 from out of my building which I got back and the thief was caught and prosecuted. Beautiful Brooks conquest saddle which had a heavy cable through the rails so I assume the thief unbolted the springs, I usually disguised it with a plastic bag but someone nicked that the day before and I was a bit lazy about replacing it. Handlebars, levers etc' carefully removed from my Spesh and handle bars, levers etc' violently torn off my Trek and then used to smash the frame. Brakes, brake blocks, bottle cage, 3 bells, pump and a few days ago 1 handlebar grip:angry:

BLOODY HELL:eek: WHERE DO YOU LIVE

One very manky looking old water bottle cut and taped with gaffer tape filled with a lead acid battery with a lead dangling out. What in the name of Thor does any thief want with an obviously home made bottle battery? The most expensive part was the charger at home.
I think thieves consider stealability first and only consider value when they are standing at the counter of cash converters.

At university, some git had my saddle and seatpost along with, wait for it.....

The brake blocks. The saddle theft I noticed straight away. The blocks took a little while longer!
I had my rear derailleur snaffled. It was a lovely old 1970s Shimano 600 with the crane logo. The chain was not broken!

Crankarm

Guru
Many years ago I was touring along North Devon coast. I had stopped for lunch with a view out over the sea. I spread my stuff out on a patch of grass, plastic plate, mug of soup, ham, tomatoes, crust of bread, crisps, yoghurt, banana and an apple, bag of nuts. When I came to pack up I realised I hadn't eaten my crips but they were nowhere to be seen. I looked in vain through both panniers. Then I saw a magpie sitting in a tree with them. The thieving git! When I had finished lunch and packed up, I turned my bike toward the waiting steep hill, but it wasn't just my crisps that had been stolen but also my legs. I immediately got off and had push my bike up the hill as it made it's way skywards.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had my lights taken from the bike, but they left the brackets behind, they were 1980's Ever Ready Nightriders so quite large. Also another time I have had my puncture repair kit, but not the pump taken from my panniers, but they left the panniers which were made by Carradice.

Tom B

Guru
Front wheel stolen from my bike outside the library, many years ago when I was about 14.

My older, much larger than his age would suggest cousin had a word or two with the local youths and my wheel was left with the librarian and nobody got hurt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom