Things you've lost on a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I bought a rear light a few weeks ago and fixed it to my bike. When I got home from my next ride I noticed it was missing, it had fallen off somewhere - I wouldn't mind, it wasn't even dark when I went out.

The console from my cycle computer has flown off its cradle a few times when I have been out riding, but so far I have always managed to retrieve it before it gets crushed by a passing vehicle. I often lose that at home too, I put it down somewhere and my wife moves it.....she always denies it and then moves it back to where I put it - thinks she can fool me, huh - then I find it later.

Tim Hall

My bike also. Back in the day (1979)1, I cycled up to the station to renew my season ticket so I could get to school. Went home.
A couple of days later I looked in the shed for my bike, which was conspicuous by its absence. Thought very hard about where it might be and realised I'd left it at the station. Walked back up there but of course it had gone. Dad dropped in to the police station to see if it had been handed in. It was there in the lost property room! A passing constable had seen the bike leaning unloved against the station wall and had taken it in for safe keeping.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I hit a bridge wall which dislodged my Lunar 25, which promptly rolled across the cobbles into a deep canal.
It was dark, and the light slowly sank like a lightsabre into the murky water. Was almost worth it for the beautiful light show.

Last edited:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've left a trail of reading and sunglasses across Europe in the past ten years. Only yesterday I lost my last pair of cycling sunglasses whilst out on a club run. I now only pay a £1 for glasses, which I buy three at a time. I soon run out.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I pulled off a cycling cap and stuffed it inside the front of my jacket when my bonce got a little hot.

When it got hotter still I undid the zip of the cycling jacket, forgetting that the cap was inside. Only realised what had happened when I got home.

Sometimes it seems that the purpose of my life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
My bike also. Back in the day (1979)1, I cycled up to the station to renew my season ticket so I could get to school. Went home.
A couple of days later I looked in the shed for my bike, which was conspicuous by its absence. Thought very hard about where it might be and realised I'd left it at the station. Walked back up there but of course it had gone. Dad dropped in to the police station to see if it had been handed in. It was there in the lost property room! A passing constable had seen the bike leaning unloved against the station wall and had taken it in for safe keeping.
Your luck was in that day.

May I be so presumptuous in cutting and pasting a diary extract from a day's cycle tour from a few years ago?

I can't be bothered to write another account and thought I'd impress you with my writing skills (:whistle:).

Enjoy! :laugh:

DAY ONE Wednesday 2nd December 2009. Kirrawee (Sydney) - Kiama.

After a surpisingly good night's sleep, I awoke to the kind of mental chaos that precedes anything more than a routine ride to work: packing, re-packing, sorting, unpacking to remove surplus weight etc., I was out of the house and on the road by 9.30. I'd woken in the night to hear a massive storm blowing and feeling glad that I wasn't exposed somewhere in my tent. But now the weather was warm (low 20s) with a slight southerly (headwind) and blue skies.

Leaving Kirrawee (just south of Sydney) I stopped after about five km to have breakfast: a large coffee, a ham and bacon croissant, and a ridiculously large cherry pie/bread thing! It looked like a red hot-water bottle, but I thought I could snack on it from time to time, instead of trying to do what I would under normal circumstances and eat the whole lot in one sitting!

I didn't really have a destination for the day, just to follow the best road as close to the coast as possible with the least amount of traffic. After Stanwell Park I followed the road south to Thirroul, by-passed the industrial town of Wollongong, passed Port Kembla and stopped at Shellharbour to have a break and look for somewhere to pitch my tent in the next hour or two.

The problem was my tent was missing! I'd wedged it in between my bike rack and the Topeak travel bag rack! Having thought it was firmly fixed in place, I hadn't used a bungee cord to make sure that it actually was. In a bit of a panic, and needless to say, very annoyed, I retraced my tracks for 10 km but to no avail. I had no idea where it could have worked itself loose, and someone had obviously found it and taken it. £125 gone, just like that! Feeling sorry for myself, I headed back from where I'd just come and stopped at a garage and had two large bottles of chocolate milk and topped up on my water.

It wasn't particularly late but I just wanted to crash out for the night, so hunted around for somewhere suitable. Unfortunately AUS $140 (about 70 quid) isn't my idea of cheap, so rode on for another 20 km until I reached Kiama. It wasn't cheap there, either, but at 110 dollars, I decided to cut my losses and take a room.

I ran a bath and sorted myself out. Fell asleep with my feet up by the taps and woke in lukewarm water. I thought I'd try and get out of the bath without making my legs wet again, but in the process I was struck with the worst ever attack of cramp along the insides of both thighs! It took ages to get out of the bath, and even longer to get to the bed. Douglas Bader would have beaten me in a 50-yard dash by about two days!

It eventually wore off and I got a reasonable night's sleep.

Top Bottom