Think I could have had a fight last night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
On the way home last night on the shared use and could hear a bit of a commotion up ahead, it's round a bit of a blind bend so couldn't see but as I started to get closer I saw a woman bending down and getting hold of a dog by it's collar. I thought it must have been her I'd heard shouting after the dog as it had legged it. Anyway as the rest came into view I saw there was a bloke walking towards her with a young woman, turned out to be his daughter, and a dog on a lead.
I exit the path at this point anyway so headed for the gate, one of those upright angled gap blocking jobbies, when the bloke starts shouting that this womans dog should be on a lead. I turned around, they're about two bike lengths behind me on the path and I'm standing astride the bike with my front wheel through the gap, to see him walk up to the woman finger pointing and screaming at her.
I called over
"I think you need to calm down a bit mate"
He ignores this and continues to rant so I called back again,
"Mate, you really need to calm down."
So he turns to me and asks me to butt out, or whatever it was, and I tell him that I don't think he should be finger pointing and screaming in this womans face and he should try to calm down. Then he comes over to me same finger pointing up close and SCREAMS,
"I AM CALM!!! :cursing:"
Then he starts to jostle me a little to get past so I again tell him that I think he needs to cool it a little as I make my way through the gate. After I'm through and I'm sorting my lights out he starts to shout at me that this womans dog was running riot, I reply that whilst that may be the case he may find people respond better if you don't scream in their faces. Then as he starts to stomp off I heard him say to his daughter,
"I'm just really angry!"
He certainly was :laugh:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Blimey, the void left by Mary Whitehouse has created a power vacuum.

400bhp

Guru
The coppers can probably answer this but I think there's some psycobabble that says if you tell someone to calm down it can often make the person less calm and excacerbate the situation.

Well done for butting in and not turning the other cheek. We need more of it in our insular society. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Any head cam footage?
Unfortunately not, perhaps I should invest in one :whistle:

The coppers can probably answer this but I think there's some psycobabble that says if you tell someone to calm down it can often make the person less calm and excacerbate the situation.

Well done for butting in and not turning the other cheek. We need more of it in our insular society. :thumbsup:
It did cross my mind at the time, but couldn't think of what else to say. I read recently, could have been on here so it must be true, about Derren Brown when he was confronted by an angry man he said "The wall outside my house is three feet tall" or something similar, the bloke was immediately on the back foot and Brown continued chatting away about utter nonsense totally defusing the situation as the angry man just didn't know how to reply :thumbsup:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Unfortunately not, perhaps I should invest in one :whistle:

It did cross my mind at the time, but couldn't think of what else to say. I read recently, could have been on here so it must be true, about Derren Brown when he was confronted by an angry man he said "The wall outside my house is three feet tall" or something similar, the bloke was immediately on the back foot and Brown continued chatting away about utter nonsense totally defusing the situation as the angry man just didn't know how to reply :thumbsup:

Dancing the hornpipe also works.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

I can remember one self defence teacher advocating something similar, asking a nonensical, unrelated question to wrong foot an aggressive person.

Top Bottom