Thinking of down-sizing 28mm Grand Prix 4 Seasons to 23mm to fit full mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ishaqmir

Hi everyone

I‘ve got a Domane SLR rim brake bike and therefore clearance is limited. I’ve got 28mm Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons at the moment and havent had any problems in the cold and wet/mud so far. I’m using the SKS Raceblade Pro XL mudguards and they keep my back clean and front is just ok. In order to fit full length Bontrager mudguards Trek have told me I will have to downsize to 25mm width tyres, and because the Contis measure bigger than stated, I’m thinking of downsizing to 23mm GP4S (they should measure up as 25mm once pumped up). My present 28mm tyres measure at around 30mm.

What do you think of this? Or do you think i’m crazy sacrificing tyre width for some extra mud/dirt protection? I just hate seeing mud splashed all behind the seat stay and front deraliuer and also all over the frames and front of the bike as the present mudguard doesnt go through the fork into the front. I dont want to fit the full length aftermarket mudguards as they are quite floppy at the front etc.

Thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wider tyres seem to be the way to go now, but I used 23mm all year round for years and never had any problem. I may have picked up a few more punctures than I would have with the larger tyre, who knows?

Only you can decide what matters to you most.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I don't know what wheels you have, but I've got 25mm GP4000SIIs on a Campag Zonda wheel (last model) and a Superstar Components wheelset and both measure 28mm wide, while a Conti Grand Prix (not the GP4S) 25mm on a Fulcrum wheel on a different bike measures 26mm wide. I also run 23mm GP4000SIIs on the other Zonda & Fulcrum wheels due to clearance issues and they both measure up at 25.5mm wide.

I'd go with the 25mm if you can make them fit.

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

Thanks for the replies. I think I’ll first purchase the 18-25mm full mudguards, fit them and see how tight my Conti 28mm GP4S tyres are and then go from there?

si_c

Guru
I'd go for mudguards and smaller tyres every time. You only have to ride wet roads once for it to be worth it, nothing worse than a cold wet backside.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've the same issue with 4 Seasons 28mm on my Avanti Circa and Raceblade Pro XL's: I've not been impressed with them.

In the Avanti's case I'll be fitting full mudguards this week - hopefully they'll be OK.

OP
OP
I

ishaqmir

I've the same issue with 4 Seasons 28mm on my Avanti Circa and Raceblade Pro XL's: I've not been impressed with them.

In the Avanti's case I'll be fitting full mudguards this week - hopefully they'll be OK.

Yeah, I’ve not been 100% satisfied with Raceblade Pro XL as still get brakes and seat stay mucky, and front of bike too.

Im going to fit the full mudguards this week too, but I doubt very much the 28mm 4 Seasons are going to fit, will have to downsize to maybe 23mm (should measure 25mm on my 19mm width wheels)

pawl

Legendary Member
I'd go for mudguards and smaller tyres every time. You only have to ride wet roads once for it to be worth it, nothing worse than a cold wet backside.

I recently fitted race blade longs with 23 c on my old Giant.Rear is very close clearance but no problem Good protection.There is slight gap where the sections meet under the brakes but does not appear to be a problem.

Top Bottom