Thinking of Taking up Guitar - Any tips ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

november4

It's a bit late, but if I had my time again, would have gone straight to a decent second hand electric, they are easier to play, smaller strings, and you don't need an amp at first. Non tube amps are best they have ever been, can't go wrong with second hand yamaha THR, boss katana, line 6 catalyst, blackstar fly3 etc

If you buy second hand, can generally get more of your investment back when you trade up

There's a bit of a learning curve with setting up a guitar but search youtube. As others have said, justinguitar is great resource for lessons etc

Good free apps.....guitartuna, guitartabs(ultimateguitar)

Good luck

Last edited:
Not sure i took the right path tbh ... kids spanish to cheapo strat copy to full acoustic.
Also have a Yamaha electric now but never play it.

byegad

Legendary Member
At 55 I (self) taught* myself to play the treble recorder, after a few weeks I was able to knock out a tune, and bought a Bass recorder, while meant to effectively be the Oompah section of a recorder band i found the fingering the same so could play anything written for the treble*, and most flute tunes.

I found it immensely satisfying and only gave up due to creeping arthritis in my hands.

*I played a descant recorder in order to pass a course in college, but was terribly bad at it and only 'passed' due to the pity of the tutor! Either that or he couldn't bear hearing me resit!!
** Recorder fingering is in two sets and descant soprano etc are different from Treble and modern recorders are either in C or F. I own several F recorders including the Treble and Bass.

Last edited:
I keep thinking about buying another guitar, after a gap of about 35 years or so
I used to have a Hofner President, a 5-string Banjp (as I adore the 'frantic' sound of bluegrass) & a Tokai 'Telecastter'

The Hofner was because it was the nearest thing to a Gretsch, I could afford back then (now, there's the cheaper models, than the 6120's)

Miscellaneous Images. Music. Hofner President 1.jpg

Miscellaneous Images. Music. 'Strat & 5-string'.jpg

Whether I could pick a guitar back up, and be as (in)proficient as I was back then. who knows?:rolleyes:

The '2 series' are cheaper, but this is the colour:wub:
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...atic-Single-Cut-with-Bigsby-Orange-Stain/4N2G

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Get a decent guitar to begin with as the cheap ones are very difficult to play and can drive you mad. This does not mean spending a fortune and there are plenty of good second hand guitars. After than it is down to practice, few people are naturals and most it just takes time. The online guides such as justinguitar above are very good. Good luck 😁

I'd caveat that with the fact that there are a lot of cheap instruments on the market today that play better than even big brand name ones did when I first started playing back in the 90s. You definitely don't need to spend much to get started.

I keep thinking about buying another guitar, after a gap of about 35 years or so
I used to have a Hofner President, a 5-string Banjp (as I adore the 'frantic' sound of bluegrass) & a Tokai 'Telecastter'

The Hofner was because it was the nearest thing to a Gretsch, I could afford back then (now, there's the cheaper models, than the 6120's)

View attachment 669396

View attachment 669397

Whether I could pick a guitar back up, and be as (in)proficient as I was back then. who knows?:rolleyes:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...atic-Single-Cut-with-Bigsby-Orange-Stain/4N2G

Quite like a 'Tele' myself but stored my amp away years ago and not 100% sure where it is?
Problem with owning a Gretsch is having to stare at it for hours .....
Screenshot_20221128_134449.jpg

DRM

Guru

View attachment 669396

View attachment 669397

You could always have a run out to York to try one out, Gear for music are on Clifton Moor Trading Estate,

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
ok - its arrived. 1st daft question - its a left hander so I have the the guitar on my right knee holding the neck with the left hand - but then the the strings are the other way around than in the video below ? - ie the thin strings are at the top - or has this left handed guitar been re strung as a right handed guitar ?

https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/how-to-play-the-d-chord-b1-105

edit - my right hand should be on neck ? guitar on left knee ? -

so in a left handed guitar - the left hand does the the strumming ? - I would have though your dominant hand would do the finger movements on the neck - but Im guessing not !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom