Thinking of Taking up Guitar - Any tips ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I guess in the end there are no rules - there are right handed people and left handed people, and there are right handed guitars and left handed guitars, and any combination does occur. With the added complication that when a left handed person chooses a right handed guitar (or vice versa) he or she may elect to reverse the strings or not. So many permutations.

Here's a picture of a player playing a left handed guitar that he's turned upside down in order to create the look he requires for his act:

jimihendrix_4_large.jpg

and here's Elizabeth Cotton playing a right handed guitar turned upside down without the strings reversed:

elizabeth cotton.jpeg

Ok - I thought the question was - which hand is on the fret board on a left handed guitar.

Well, I always thought it was the right hand like this chap.
Anyhow, lets have a piccy of the new guitar :okay:
Screenshot_20221201_125902.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
Depends on the style you ultimately gravitate to, but my right hand ( my plucking hand) does a lot more work than my left hand.

I agree, picking strings is more work than fretting, yes, but depends on your style.

If you play all legato notes (not much picking), there is a case for saying that the dominant hand would be better utilised for fretting notes.:okay:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The problem with us left handed types is we're not 100% left handed... we instinctively do some tasks* right handed and playing a guitar seems to be a common one, hence certain LH folk claiming there's no need for a LH guitar. It appears that @kingrollo instinctively leans toward holding a guitar the right handed way. does the seller accept returns?

*I hold my knife and fork right handed, whilst my RH brother hold his the opposite way :wacko:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
The problem with us left handed types is we're not 100% left handed... we instinctively do some tasks* right handed and playing a guitar seems to be a common one, hence certain LH folk claiming there's no need for a LH guitar. It appears that @kingrollo instinctively leans toward holding a guitar the right handed way. does the seller accept returns?

*I hold my knife and fork right handed, whilst my RH brother hold his the opposite way :wacko:

There was no instinct mate - I hadn't got a feckin clue what I was doing. !!!!

It was only when I noticed Justin guitar had his strings the wrong way I realised something was amiss !!!!! - it felt ok with the fret on the right hand - in fact my left hand has 59 years of wear and tear so thing it's better that I use the right hand for fret.

The guitar was only £65 - so if turns out I need a RH I should be able to recoup that.

Some poor geezer has agreed to me a having a couple of lessons starting Monday !

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Chances are the geezer giving you the lessons will have a RH guitar so you'll at least be in a position to try both a left and right handed guitar and find out which feels best for you :okay:

I'm a bit late to the party, but I am a musician, sort of. I play ukulele mostly these days, guitars are just too... obvious.

There's some great advice here. The most important thing to do is listen to as much music as you can and copy until you get your own ear. How do you get the sound you're hearing? What do you like?

I am astonished by the number of people that learn to play instruments but never actually listen to music. To get good, you need to develop a magnificent obsession.

As to playing left-handed - I have taught left and right-handed players and know people who can play either kind and people who can play either. The proper answer is... it depends. My feeling is it it is easier to learn rhythm with your dominant hand and bloody hard to play with the wrong hand once you've learned. But where you are now you could learn on either.

I like the idea of a teacher, but ultimately all a good teacher will do is show you things you can work out for yourself. Avoid one who seems uninterested.

Now, go to an open mic. Listen more than you play and ask a lot of questions. If it's a welcoming open mic people will be really happy to help. If they are snotty, it's a bad open mic and you don't need to go again.

Can I have a credit on your first album?

I'm getting a bit nervous going to blokes house - whom I've never met and asking to try a right hander :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Buy him a drink first!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I'm a bit late to the party, but I am a musician, sort of. I play ukulele mostly these days, guitars are just too... obvious.

There's some great advice here. The most important thing to do is listen to as much music as you can and copy until you get your own ear. How do you get the sound you're hearing? What do you like?

I am astonished by the number of people that learn to play instruments but never actually listen to music. To get good, you need to develop a magnificent obsession.

As to playing left-handed - I have taught left and right-handed players and know people who can play either kind and people who can play either. The proper answer is... it depends. My feeling is it it is easier to learn rhythm with your dominant hand and bloody hard to play with the wrong hand once you've learned. But where you are now you could learn on either.

I like the idea of a teacher, but ultimately all a good teacher will do is show you things you can work out for yourself. Avoid one who seems uninterested.

Now, go to an open mic. Listen more than you play and ask a lot of questions. If it's a welcoming open mic people will be really happy to help. If they are snotty, it's a bad open mic and you don't need to go again.

Can I have a credit on your first album?

You can have a credit on my first chord ! (And that maybe a while,)

If I can any sort of tune out of it - I will be delighted!

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Ok followed a few u tube vids - trying to nail a couple of chords .....not easy.

Fingers sore as many as predicted - should I practice on through the pain - or save my fingers for Monday's lesson (1 hour long)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Maybe you should save them, just do a bit of light practicing. In time they will become calloused. Try to get some strength into your fingers, including the pinkie particularly.

Top Bottom