This bikes Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
image.jpeg
Hiya , I was looking around the net to see what colour schemes etc
Hill Specials had circa 1950, I came across this1980's bike with these pedals on , I've never seen them before , what if any was deemed the benefit of them ?
(Apart from being handy to block and prop up the bike ! )

midlife

Guru
PMP cranks, TT bods like Ian Cammish used them. Theory was it increased torque.....yeah right lol

Joffey

Big Dosser
View attachment 384289 Hiya , I was looking around the net to see what colour schemes etc
Hill Specials had circa 1950, I came across this1980's bike with these pedals on , I've never seen them before , what if any was deemed the benefit of them ?
View attachment 384289 Hiya , I was looking around the net to see what colour schemes etc

Them be cranks :smile:

davidphilips

Veteran
Very nice looks like a very big chain wheel with close ratio block on back, must be fast but dont think it would be great for hills even ifit is a hillspecial.
Lovely colnago.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Someone has thought about how to make that bike as light as possible without the obvious (and often disastrous) answer of drilling random holes everywhere.

Look at the cable lengths and no bar tape either.

I guess any advantage gained would be due to the alignment of your leg joints ( hip, knee, and ankle) being more favourable / efficient, regarding transferring all your available torque, with less losses, due to alignments being sub optimal, at various points in the rotation of the cranks, with a straight pedal to spindle arrangement. I think a proper scientific experiment needs to be carried out, to test the hypothesis.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool: lovely TT bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I guess any advantage gained would be due to the alignment of your leg joints ( hip, knee, and ankle) being more favourable / efficient, regarding transferring all your available torque, with less losses, due to alignments being sub optimal, at various points in the rotation of the cranks, with a straight pedal to spindle arrangement. I think a proper scientific experiment needs to be carried out, to test the hypothesis.
yes but ignoring the L shape, imagine a straight crank that runs from bottom bracket to the spindle hole......yep the pedals are in exactly the same place as with a conventional crank. It's the emperors new (now old) bollox.

yes but ignoring the L shape, imagine a straight crank that runs from bottom bracket to the spindle hole......yep the pedals are in exactly the same place as with a conventional crank. It's the emperors new (now old) bollox.
Yes, the pedals are effectively in the same position, that’s the point. The L shape allows that to be a more biomechanically efficient position, more of the time, than it would be with straight cranks.

Last edited:
I actually want to try them now. The majority of my rides are LSD ( not the drug :laugh:) rides, and I have a feeling, that’s exactly the sort of ride, these would be most effective on.

midlife

Guru
Yes, the pedals are effectively in the same position, that’s the point. The L shape allows that to be a more biomechanically efficient position, all the time, than it would be with straight cranks.
Yes, the pedals are effectively in the same position, that’s the point. The L shape allows that to be a more biomechanically efficient position, all the time, than it would be with straight cranks.

the pedal still traverses a circle with the centre at the axle and the end of radius at the pedal spindle. Irrespective of the shape of the crank arm

Top Bottom