this cyclist really does deserve a good slapping!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I do believe that most trains on SWT have bike spaces for a couple of bikes at least somewhere on one of the carriages.

Lonestar

Veteran
This is a new one,normally it's feet all over the seats and a mouth full of abuse (at the least) when a comment is made about this behaviour.The behaviour of this society just seems to get worse and worse year after year.

mustang1

Legendary Member
So here's a puzzle: what would happen if thebguy had bought three tickets, is he entitled tonuse three seats?

Secondly, no one was forced to stand. I suppose they can catch the next train.

I'm playing devil's advocate, it's a bad move tonsticm your bike on the seats that way. But the points I raise, are they worth investigating. What if I have a ticket for my asimo (Honda robot) sitting next to me?

Lonestar

Veteran
So here's a puzzle: what would happen if thebguy had bought three tickets, is he entitled tonuse three seats?

I'm playing devil's advocate, it's a bad move tonsticm your bike on the seats that way. But the points I raise, are they worth investigating. What if I have a ticket for my asimo (Honda robot) sitting next to me?

As long as the robot doesn't put his shoes (reworded) not smelly feet or dirty socks (edited) or bike all over the seats.Thanks.Much appreciated.Also give up the seat if it isn't taken up by a robot or person.Cheers.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The buying of a ticket, (unless you book a specific seat as well), does not entitle you to a seat. You are buying a passage only.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm going to London on the train next month. I might take the bike now a precedent has been set...*

* - this is a joke, the person in the photo is a numpty, as is "Indignant of Surrey" who took the photo rather than asking him to move.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The buying of a ticket, (unless you book a specific seat as well), does not entitle you to a seat. You are buying a passage only.

I once asked a woman to move her luggage from the seat to be told she'd bought two tickets (and seat reserved). I was too flabbergasted to simply move her kit, or just be excedingly rude, which I rather regret.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member

The robot would be luggage and larger than the permitted size.

U

User482

[QUOTE 4164252, member: 43827"]Why can't people just agree the cyclist is a complete ar**hole and stop there?

The photo taker's actions are of secondary importance as without that cyclist there would have been no photo and no article.[/QUOTE]
Because I don't agree with you.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm going to London on the train next month. I might take the bike now a precedent has been set...*

* - this is a joke, the person in the photo is a numpty, as is "Indignant of Surrey" who took the photo rather than asking him to move.

A few weeks ago on a train out of Waterloo, a young lady had bags of shopping across several seats, all other seats were occupied. I asked her to clear the seat, please, so I could sit down. She did so accompanied by a tirade at me for disrespecting her, she then phoned her ?brother?boyfriend? and complied to him about me disrespecting her and arranging for him to meet her at the station, giving him a description of me.

I got off before she did. Had we got off at the same station I would have felt in danger.

Simply asking someone to move is not quite the simple thing you suggest. If someone is crass enough to beahave as that bloke was doing, many people would be fearful of saying anything.

Not even that!
What you are buying is the passage from A to B without injury

There is no time limitation on when the journey will be, guarantee of form of transport or duration of the passage either!

I remember buying a ticket with Cycle reservation, to be told immediately on arriving at the platform that there was a bus service covering 60 miles of the route that would not take the bike.

However as the service could get me there three days later - I was not entitled to a refund

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 4164252, member: 43827"]Why can't people just agree the cyclist is a complete ar**hole and stop there?

The photo taker's actions are of secondary importance as without that cyclist there would have been no photo and no article.[/QUOTE]

Because it's yet more anticycling propaganda.

If it, and every other article, said "Man behaves like ass" instead of furthering the process of othering, differenting cyclists as though they are different, alien, other to the rest of humanity.

As a previous poster pointed out, would a picture of a guy with any other luggage taking up seats have made the paper? No. It's purely published to further divide people.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Then why does any one else care if they are standing up. They have a right of passage buy no guarantee of a seat. :smile:

What about these huge wheeled cases used by travellers nowadays?
I'm convinced some people have family members in their cases in order to save on rail fares.
I gotta say, I don't even like taking my brompton on London underground.

"Jay Cunningham-Pearce wrote: Please tell me someone said something to him. I can't go to bed knowing he’s still out there thinking this is normal or acceptable.”

The choice of words normally reserved for a murderer or a rapist. He obviously cares for his bike and doesn't want it stolen. Just wake him and ask him to move it you drama queens! Nice looking bike, i like the graphite look on bikes!:okay:
Hey hey what about the homeless guy sleeping on a park bench, would you move him so you could sit down?

.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I'm playing devil's advocate coz this is, ya know, cc. :smile:

I wouldn't be surprised if this same a-hole was brought up with a rich parents' education, he might be heading towards a career in being the PM.

(Yeah yeah how do I know he's not already a multi millionaire yada yada).

The robot would be luggage and larger than the permitted size.
The robot is my assistant and her name is...er.. Julie.

On a packed train not that long ago, I watched a very large American man approach a guy who was studiously listening to his earphones and staring hard out of the window while his rucksack occupied the seat next to him. In tones exactly like those of Paul Robeson the man said, 'I'll just move this for you ... shall I?' and swung the rucksack up onto the luggage rack before plonking himself into the seat. :smile:
Excellent! I done something similar but instead of putting bag on the over head rack, I chucked it on the floor and put my feet on it.

Not even that!
What you are buying is the passage from A to B without injury

There is no time limitation on when the journey will be, guarantee of form of transport or duration of the passage either!

I remember buying a ticket with Cycle reservation, to be told immediately on arriving at the platform that there was a bus service covering 60 miles of the route that would not take the bike.

However as the service could get me there three days later - I was not entitled to a refund

Wtf???

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom