**** this ***ing wind!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Change of diet needed?

Big John

Guru
Today was extraordinary. After ten minutes gritting my teeth into the wind I felt like turning round and heading home again. However, I carried on and, I guess, got my second wind as they call it. Fought bravely on until the turn for home when all of a sudden the turbos were lit and suddenly life was a breeze. Averaged about 10mph on the outward journey and I ran out of gears on the way back 👍. Murder to begin with but in the end worth the effort. I do, however, agree with the sentiments of the OP. Give us a break, oh Lord, and let us ride in peace 😇

tyred

Legendary Member
You need a sail on your bike to make most use of the wind. :okay:

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Today was extraordinary. After ten minutes gritting my teeth into the wind I felt like turning round and heading home again. However, I carried on and, I guess, got my second wind as they call it. Fought bravely on until the turn for home when all of a sudden the turbos were lit and suddenly life was a breeze. Averaged about 10mph on the outward journey and I ran out of gears on the way back 👍. Murder to begin with but in the end worth the effort. I do, however, agree with the sentiments of the OP. Give us a break, oh Lord, and let us ride in peace 😇
The worst was one day last week when I wasn't thinking too clearly and found myself at the top of the hill in basically spring gear in basically an Arctic gale. Couldn't face going back down the hill and up again, so decided to be British about the whole thing, keep calm and carry on. Halfway there, doing about 40 with hardly a pedal-push and really feeling the cold, I could only think of one thing: this is going to be ten times worse on the way back.

It was.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Twas a windy old cycle commute in to work this morning which made for tough going.
Looking nice for the return trip

gbb

Legendary Member
As an almost former cyclist :shy:, today is extra windy, its bedlam at work in our yard, quite furious wind.
But, when i was cycling, find a speed that works, head down and plod along, spinning as much as is neccessary. If it means sub 10mph, then so be it, find what works and above all, don't try to beat the wind...you WILL lose.
10 - 15 mile headwind outruns...then the real fun begins on the homeward runs :hyper:

Ironically, my average speeds would always be the same'ish, windy or still days. You lose one end, get it back the other.

Reactions: C R

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As an aside - when you look at the weather forecast, what's your preferred unit for wind speed? Velocity (in mph or km/h to taste) or the Beaufort scale?

I much prefer the Baufort scale. The air velocity doesn't mean much to me. But the Beaufort Scale is makes actual sense.
1649339592895.png

Top Bottom