**** this ***ing wind!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Twas a windy old cycle commute in to work this morning which made for tough going.
Looking nice for the return trip
I never had that luxury! I cross the river on the way to work and it always felt like the wind turned with the tide so it was always a headwind.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you work for the BBC?
Nope. They do weather forecasts for the whole country...and are now mostly based in Salford so they'd be better placed to know what's happening in the NW than I would :okay:
The OP is in London too :okay:

nagden

Über Member
I laid in bed this morning and listened to the wind and thought I'II go this afternoon. Well it is even worse this afternoon so today is a rest day. The benefits of being retired.

Chris S

Legendary Member
The prevailing wind direction in Birmingham is from the South West. It's also the direction that I cycle to the gym. It's hard going as it's also slightly uphill. I could more or less freewheel home.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As an aside - when you look at the weather forecast, what's your preferred unit for wind speed? Velocity (in mph or km/h to taste) or the Beaufort scale?

I much prefer the Baufort scale. The air velocity doesn't mean much to me. But the Beaufort Scale is makes actual sense.
View attachment 638952
Love that last one! "Considerable and widespread damage to structures and vegetation. Violence." :laugh:

Just back from me swim. It's pretty violent out there right now. :tongue:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As an aside - when you look at the weather forecast, what's your preferred unit for wind speed? Velocity (in mph or km/h to taste) or the Beaufort scale?

I much prefer the Baufort scale. The air velocity doesn't mean much to me. But the Beaufort Scale is makes actual sense.
View attachment 638952

I like the tree scale on the right. When bits of tree start breaking off, it’s time to consider not riding.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Horrendous wind here yesterday afternoon! It's every other, if not every day now. I was effing and jeffing as I struggled to keep my car door open to get back in it, while seeing empty trolleys moving across the supermarket car park, blown by that @#~ing wind!:cursing:
I now find myself holding things down by heavy objects when I'm out, to stop stuff blowing away. It makes me think of those vids of NASA space stations where everything has/had to be held down to stop it floating off, due to a lack of gravity.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
seeing empty trolleys moving across the supermarket car park, blown by that @#~ing wind!

We had our latest car for a very short time, when we had a trip to B&Q (which wasn't really needed) I parked in the middle of a fairly empty carpark, we loaded the car with the wood we bought, and while the wife was returning the trolley to the trolley park, a lone trolley that some lazy ******* had left out in the open caught the wind and set off at warp speed, and only stopped when it had put a nice crease in our front O/S wing, oh how we laughed.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We had our latest car for a very short time, when we had a trip to B&Q (which wasn't really needed) I parked in the middle of a fairly empty carpark, we loaded the car with the wood we bought, and while the wife was returning the trolley to the trolley park, a lone trolley that some lazy ******* had left out in the open caught the wind and set off at warp speed, and only stopped when it had put a nice crease in our front O/S wing, oh how we laughed.

Did you manage to claim off B&Q? I know of folk who've had vehicles damaged (talking to one yesterday who came out to find a caused by not bothering to look in the rear view mirror, dent in his car) on such car parks and been told the disclaimer signs on the car parks more or less covers them from having to make any pay outs. Supermarket/D.I.Y etc car parks are lawless places! The other Sunday the local Tesco one was being used by boy racers to 'burn rubber'! As people were driving in and out these tossers were flying round in powerful BMW's, turning the wheel suddenly to make shrieking noises, with smoke coming from the tyres and leaving circular burnt rubber marks on the tarmac!:angry:

Venod

Eh up
Did you manage to claim off B&Q?
No never tried, I guess they would have pointed me to the park at your own risk sign.
Earlier this year we were just entering the same B&Q when there was a commotion, somebody ran out with something, jumped in the side door of a waiting van with a driver at the wheel, they sped off at top speed across the car park, with little regard to the pedestrians, they were pursued out of the store by security to no avail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom