This running malarkey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
As some of you may know, as well as cycling, the fragrant Mrs P likes a bit of running, she's done a couple of marathons, half a dozen or so half marathons, loads of 10ks, she is currently training again for the London.

Earlier in the year she says to me her firm are putting together a team for this would I like to join?

No, no I would not. I don't want to get up in the mornings if the freezing feckin' cold to the training, I'd rather sit in a vat of of battery acid and scrape the skin off me bum.

ANYWAY..for some reason and don't ask me why I did it, on a whim and without telling her until later, on Christmas Day I signed up for the run and told her after dinner. She was chuffed.

But BLOODY HELL, its hard, two weeks into the training and I am finding really difficult. It's much easier cycling.

I've just come in from a two mile run, in from the pissing rain, cold and wind. I'm soaked through!

I don't get it. How do folk do it? AND WHY?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ugghhh!! Running.. no no & thrice no.

But some other CC'ers seem to like it.
Running thread HERE

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I tried running in December when I was too short on time to get a ride in- it was horrid, could not stick it.
Problem is being a cyclist I (we) have great cardio- so where a non-exerciser gets off the sofa and runs out of breathe after 3/4 minutes so they stop my cardio was fine it was the rest of my body that hurt so bad due to the different muscles.
I've told my wife not to let me run again and I'm put in more wet weather miles on the bike.

Fubar

Guru
As some of you may know, as well as cycling, the fragrant Mrs P likes a bit of running, she's done a couple of marathons, half a dozen or so half marathons, loads of 10ks, she is currently training again for the London.

Earlier in the year she says to me her firm are putting together a team for this would I like to join?

No, no I would not. I don't want to get up in the mornings if the freezing feckin' cold to the training, I'd rather sit in a vat of of battery acid and scrape the skin off me bum.

ANYWAY..for some reason and don't ask me why I did it, on a whim and without telling her until later, on Christmas Day I signed up for the run and told her after dinner. She was chuffed.

But BLOODY HELL, its hard, two weeks into the training and I am finding really difficult. It's much easier cycling.

I've just come in from a two mile run, in from the pissing rain, cold and wind. I'm soaked through!

I don't get it. How do folk do it? AND WHY?

Quite often recommended to "enhance" winter training - I do a few 5k's just to mix it up a bit but it is much harder on the body than cycling.

screenman

Legendary Member
I miss running as due to knee arthritis I can no longer do it. Much the same as most bike rides I do in that I do not enjoy the first 15 minutes, running was the same, first 2 miles horrible then once into it the pleasure was there. I think cycling only makes you really fit for cycling, from experience it has not crossed over that much to the other things I do or have done.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
First 2 miles :eek:

hoopdriver

Guru
I used to love running many years ago, and was doing marathons in the 2:30 range. THen it all kind of came unstuck and for many reasons I stopped running when I was in my mid-20s and very, very fit.

I took up - resumed - cycling in my early 30s but never really went back to running again. I bought myself some running shoes though this year with the idea of tentatively getting back into it.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
When my bike was out of action last year, I tried a couple of lunch runs. I did about 3 miles each time. It really hurt - my legs were a mess. very unpleasant. I guess if it was a regular thing I would get used to it.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I dislike it intensely, although it's an excellent way to get a lot of exercise in a short time.

Personally, I quite like the various "Couch to 5k" programmes that are around, and I'm on week 5 of one now.

I'm never going to love running, but as a means to an end (maintaining fitness when the weather is crappy, or for cardio back when I was a rubbish boxer) I can do it.

Ganymede

Veteran
I miss running as due to knee arthritis I can no longer do it. Much the same as most bike rides I do in that I do not enjoy the first 15 minutes, running was the same, first 2 miles horrible then once into it the pleasure was there. I think cycling only makes you really fit for cycling, from experience it has not crossed over that much to the other things I do or have done.
Brilliant for skiing. All the right muscles and skiing is a lot less aerobic than running. Helped me immensely to improve my weaker leg so that my turns on both sides have evened up. I realise it's not exactly mainstream though!

Re running: it's unnatural as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom