This time its a 979 1st generation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I realise that l might becoming slightly obsessed with Vitus but hey this is different ,its not a 992.
So l just bought the frame, forks, Stronglight BB and most importantly the seat post (of the correct size).
My plan is to build it up not as a replica of Mr Kellys' KAS but as a sort of tribute. S o l won't shy away from using modern components instead of downtime shifters etc, but l am open to suggestions/ideas from anyone who cares to share them. I have no idea of the history of the original bike except that according to a couple of faded and l think original decals it was made in Italy and the head tube has R P surrounded by a laurel wreath. No it isn't RIP just in case you are wondering ^_^
A photo if you are interested !
2018-12-14 14.10.45.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@woodbutcher that's a nice looking frame for sure and yeah why not build it modern components .

It's a good all year round frame as well with mounts fr & rr for guards

My suggestion would be a nice " yellow " 105 groupset which won't be far off period wise either

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Used to have one just like that. Lovely bike. You're going to enjoy that, a lot! I'd build it up with anything, but I'm not a purist. One tip I would pass on - when I came to sell mine on I found the seatpost wouldn't budge for love nor money. If I were you I'd give it a little wiggle every few months, just to keep it sweet.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
@woodbutcher that's a nice looking frame for sure and yeah why not build it modern components .

It's a good all year round frame as well with mounts fr & rr for guards

My suggestion would be a nice " yellow " 105 groupset which won't be far off period wise either
Thanks Mr.B excuse my ignorance but lm not familiar with "yellow" group set meaning :unsure:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Used to have one just like that. Lovely bike. You're going to enjoy that, a lot! I'd build it up with anything, but I'm not a purist. One tip I would pass on - when I came to sell mine on I found the seatpost wouldn't budge for love nor money. If I were you I'd give it a little wiggle every few months, just to keep it sweet.
Thanks for the advice...will do !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
What's the frame construction?
Its
What's the frame construction?
This is a bit nerdy but it is an accurate description of the 979
the original 979 frameset consisted of 5086 aluminum alloy tubes that were interference or slip-fit into aluminum lugs and then bonded into place using a dry heat activated epoxy in the same manner and methodology as pioneered by the aerospace industry. The net result was an extremely lightweight, durable, and adaptable bicycle frame that could easily be produced in sufficient volume to achieve markedly competitive retail price points - and a frameset that was also to become a staple of the pro peloton throughout the decade of the 1980’s. In fact, the Vitus brand of Duralinox bicycles were to become inextricably associated with Sean Kelly, dubbed "King of the Classics" and ranked the world’s number one cyclist for six consecutive years from 1984 to 1989, inasmuch as he won numerous races on various Viti, riding them exclusively in competition through his Milan San Remo win in 1992.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice , l will start looking for a set or at least parts of a set. To be honest l hadn't heard of them called yellow but l can see why from the rear derailleur :smile:

Sure somewhere deep in the garage I have a triple crankset and a set of mechanisms just waiting for the right bike to turn up and bolt them on .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
lm now about to show you the depths of my ignorance regarding cranksets etc. This frame has the 126 mm rear spacing so l assume that this will put restrictions upon whatever crankset and rear mech. l need. I am not even going to think about cold setting a thirty odd year old aluminium frame !

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
lm now about to show you the depths of my ignorance regarding cranksets etc. This frame has the 126 mm rear spacing so l assume that this will put restrictions upon whatever crankset and rear mech. l need. I am not even going to think about cold setting a thirty odd year old aluminium frame !

You should be able to squeeze an older style screw on 7 speed block equipped wheel in there not so sure re later freewheel style .

Think of me if you ever locate them Mr.B.

From memory they had a fair bit of crows feet patterning under the chrome

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You should be able to squeeze an older style screw on 7 speed block equipped wheel in there not so sure re later freewheel style .

From memory they had a fair bit of crows feet patterning under the chrome
Well lm really not in any hurry l'm just going to look for what feels right for the frame and for the way l would like it when its finished.
I am pretty sure l will go the Shimano route , l have a Campagnolo Centaur triple set up on another bike and it is a pain in the proverbial to keep it on song. The first thing l need is a headset and l haven't even given that much thought yet.....its early days :whistle:

Top Bottom