This time its a 979 1st generation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This could easily become an obsession (if not already) but hey there are worse things to get hooked on :wacko:

There certainly is

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
There certainly is
And now thanks to the article link from midlife , l know that my frame was made in 1984 January and there were 204 made in the month. So l can have its 35th birthday celebration and buy it a nice shiny crankset (Shimano 600 Tri Colour) to go with the only other part l have so far , a Shimano 600 Tri Colour rear mech. ^_^

midlife

Guru
Talking of shimano 600 Tricolor, there's a Koga Miyata bonded carbon tubed bike on the Bay with full tricolour kit sitting at £225 last time I looked, way to small for me though lol

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have a question which will show everyone the limited extent of my mechanical (bike related) knowledge !!
I am trying to build up my 979 with Shimano 600 tricolour components. So far l have a crankset, front and rear mech.and brake callipers .
Oh and just to be different a nice "flying" C bar stem.
The wheels have Tricolour hubs and FIR rims. So far so good except that the rear wheel is fitted with a uniglide freewheel . I have a 7speed hyper glide freewheel on order and l am going to attempt a body swap (see RJ the bike guy). My question is about brifters . In a word, what would be the best option in Shimano stuff. I have seen 7 speed Tourney shifters but obviously they are modern. Is there a more suitable alternative from the 1990's and would 8 speed work with the 7speed freewheel and cassette. I would be very grateful for guidance through the minefield :notworthy:

wonderdog

I realise that l might becoming slightly obsessed with Vitus but hey this is different ,its not a 992.
So l just bought the frame, forks, Stronglight BB and most importantly the seat post (of the correct size).
My plan is to build it up not as a replica of Mr Kellys' KAS but as a sort of tribute. S o l won't shy away from using modern components instead of downtime shifters etc, but l am open to suggestions/ideas from anyone who cares to share them. I have no idea of the history of the original bike except that according to a couple of faded and l think original decals it was made in Italy and the head tube has R P surrounded by a laurel wreath. No it isn't RIP just in case you are wondering ^_^
A photo if you are interested !
View attachment 442553
Interesting bit of kit - but the door panels it's leaning against - wowsers! There is a segment somewhere on this site re photos of bikes up against a gate?

Top Bottom