This time its a 979 1st generation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Wild guess, but could the RP stand for Raymond Poulidor?
You could be right, he did ride bikes with Vitus 999 Cro Mo frames, so maybe someone thought it would be a nice idea to dedicate the one l have to him.
Only problem being that as far as l know he never rode an aluminium Vitus but l would be happy to be proved mistaken !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran

davidphilips

Veteran
Another great find well done, have to agree about not resetting a bonded frame, if i had the frame i would consider bar end shifters along with best groupset at best price i could find and the widest tyres that would fit.

Other solution may be to contact a wheel builder and see if they can provide a 126mm rear wheel that may accept a 7 or greater cassette.

As for handlebars engraved cenilli and if you can find one a cenilli stem, Just wait and make sure of lenght of stem required before buying one.

You must have a really great fleet now aladdins cave somewhere?

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Another great find well done, have to agree about not resetting a bonded frame, if i had the frame i would consider bar end shifters along with best groupset at best price i could find and the widest tyres that would fit.

Other solution may be to contact a wheel builder and see if they can provide a 126mm rear wheel that may accept a 7 or greater cassette.

As for handlebars engraved cenilli and if you can find one a cenilli stem, Just wait and make sure of lenght of stem required before buying one.

You must have a really great fleet now aladdins cave somewhere?
Thank you for your (level headed) comments....l am the first to admit that l can get blown away by the prospect of another wonderful bicycle.
If possible l would like Mavic hubs and rims similar to those on my 1970s Faggin andI will be seeing my much used but l hope not abused bicycle wizard who has the great name Thierry Tran Duc. He has built and re-built wheels for me in the past and gets just as excited as l do about vintage bikes. As far as the groupset goes, at present l have an open mind except that l want Shimano. The headset for the frame is a Shimano 600 arabesque, so thats my start point .
I like your Cinelli suggestion probably because at least two of my bikes have those bars and stems, and l bet l could tell you in a blindfold test which ones they are....they fit me perfectly.
Oh yes and my Aladdins bike cave is where l feel at home even though at the moment it is a bit draughty....the weather in the Lot being a touch blustery and wet....

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
600 Arabesque is a good shout indeed
I think so as well Mr B. , l just hope that l can be patient enough to find all the other components to make a really nice job of it.
Now slightly off the topic but an example of a pretty classy restoration, how about this ......Vitus Seven , l must have been looking the other way because up until now l hadn't heard of a vitus seven.:sad:
P1060181.JPG

I think so as well Mr B. , l just hope that l can be patient enough to find all the other components to make a really nice job of it.
Now slightly off the topic but an example of a pretty classy restoration, how about this ......Vitus Seven , l must have been looking the other way because up until now l hadn't heard of a vitus seven.:sad:
View attachment 442715

IRC they did a dance ? :whistle:

Top Bottom