Those "early miles" ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Quick update:
Since Wednesday this week I have been going out for a bimble every morning firstly just 1.5 mile then a 3 mile and today a 7 mile ride on local cycle paths.

No reaction to the above has been felt so hopefully next week I shall actually try riding on roads again and see how it goes along with a few more miles.

Great work - first I've read of this and I'm glad to hear you're back in the saddle :becool:

How are you doing mentally - confident now you're back out or a bit more cautious? It's only happened to me once bit it's certainly not a nice feeling to be knocked off :sad:

tyred

Legendary Member
Great work - first I've read of this and I'm glad to hear you're back in the saddle :becool:

How are you doing mentally - confident now you're back out or a bit more cautious? It's only happened to me once bit it's certainly not a nice feeling to be knocked off :sad:

I definitely find that being knocked off affected my confidence. I'm wary of everything that moves.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I definitely find that being knocked off affected my confidence. I'm wary of everything that moves.

Indeed; was a fairly big deal for me when it happend but I can't remember the fallout now so it can't have been that bad!

I think it pays to be wary of everything that moves tbh; and really that's the basis of defensive riding - assume that everyone else is a total muppet and 99 times out of 100 you'll be sorted ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Well up till this morning only been riding on cycle paths and using my old Marin mtb , i had a couple of runs up the drive on a road bike and a couple of rides around the cul de sac but no further on a road bike.

This morning i did just over 7 miles all on the road on quietish B roads apart from the Island where i got knocked off where i used the cycle path route . Thankfully all the vehicles i saw were un threatning , but i did feel nervous when approaching a small roundabout close to home when a car from the left didn't look like it was slowing down enough but thankfully it did .

Next think is more road bike use but i am enjoying using the old Marin at the mo

@biggs682 maybe a Garmin Varia would be a good investment so you can see how far and fast cars from behind are travelling?

I also came across a website called gravelroad.com which seems to have all the local gravel and towpaths on it. It’s just a shame all mine are a car ride away to start them.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just found this thread. Glad to read you are on the mend @biggs682 . Take it slowly and build up gradually - but you know all that :okay:

Johnno260

Veteran
@biggs682 maybe a Garmin Varia would be a good investment so you can see how far and fast cars from behind are travelling?

I also came across a website called gravelroad.com which seems to have all the local gravel and towpaths on it. It’s just a shame all mine are a car ride away to start them.

I 2nd this, I have a Varia rear light and radar it’s a great piece of kit.

Top Bottom