Those Electric Cigarette Thingys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
A guy that visits our office once or twice per week is trying to give up smoking (fair play to him) but he is using those electric cigarette things to help him.
Whilst he was in earlier this week I came back into the office and it stank - really rank and very nicotiney - quite horrible.
The question is is this doing any harm to the rest of us?
I have never smoked and have no intention of ever doing so, and could do without "passive electronic cigarette smoking".

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I didn't think there was nicotine in those things. And they're supposed to be odourless.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There is quite a debate going on with people trying to get them banned. People are trying to give up, yet they are being thwarted in they're attempt to stop smoking. Different things work for different people.

smokers are already treated like lepers. However research needs to be done once and for all to find out if these a) work and b) are safe. I dont think enough has been done to decide one way or another yet. Perhaps in the meantime, it would be best if people weren't allowed to use ecigs inside, especially if they smell. I can understand why some people may object.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
They shouldn't smell and the "smoke" is just water vapour and totally harmless my OH uses them I've never smelt an odour.
That's what I thought. But others say different. But I don't smoke, so I don't know.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
There is quite a debate going on with people trying to get them banned. People are trying to give up, yet they are being thwarted in they're attempt to stop smoking. Different things work for different people.

smokers are already treated like lepers. However research needs to be done once and for all to find out if these a) work and b) are safe. I dont think enough has been done to decide one way or another yet. Perhaps in the meantime, it would be best if people weren't allowed to use ecigs inside, especially if they smell. I can understand why some people may object.
You're right. Smokers are treated rather badly in general.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You're right. Smokers are treated rather badly in general.

I smoked for over 40 years, finally gave up 2 years ago. the government complains about smokers and wanting people to quit, yet throw as many obstacles in they're way as they can and make smokers feel like the lowest of the low. They don't mention the fact that smoking brings in huge amounts of money. Its all very hypacritical. Alcohol kills large numbers of people as well, but they aren't treated like smokers.

A few guys where I work use them. There is a smell with them but it is alleged to be 100% water vapour that they emit, and the strength of the odour depends on what flavour fluid they're using. The cigarette ones smell horrible, but the fruit ones just smell really sweet to me.

The correct term for using one is actually 'vaping', but as other have said there is, and probably always be, campaigns to have them banned, or at least controlled until there is definitive proof of any side effects, passive of otherwise.

The idea is you start on a nicotine strength relative to your normal cigarette intake, you then wean yourself down over a period of weeks by dropping to weaker strength fluids. The same basic principle as nicotine patches.

As an former slave to the weed myself I think they're a great idea as an aid to quitting, just not sure of them as a long term replacement, some of the fluids I've seen look really dodgy and could contain almost anything, but can they really be worse than the cigarettes they're replacing?

I know a couple of guys though who have intention of kicking their e-fags into touch, they like smoking and this way they can do it where they want and when they want, they love 'em!

Top Bottom