Those moments that remind you what's so special about being a dad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Take photos take photos take photos... 'soon' he'll be out for the night with his mates and driving round to show Dad his new wheels..! :blush:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
When with SWMBO #1, Eldest son (then four) wanted to help daddy fix the car, a beetle.
Now I was lying underneath it and not a v. safe place for a four yr old to be, let alone me.
So using insulating tape I colour co-ordinated all my spanners and sockets so it was like "yellow socket", "blue open ended", "green ring".
He loved it, but I actually think he loved the washing hands with Swarfega better as it took him best part of half an hour.
The best bit though was when we went back in the front room, Mom says "where you been Chris?". "I've been helping Dad fix the car......(he then sits down, crosses arms and legs) bloody hard work though, can ya do me a drink ?"
I tell ya I was rolling !!

But aside from that,if you are one of the young ilk on here, with young kids, its not all about jumpers for goalposts etc.. Get them to help you do the house maintenance etc. Its amazing how good a wee un can feel footing a ladder even if it does no good. It's all about I helped Daddy/Mommy.
And the memories will stay with you for ever

Bigtallfatbloke

yep..those moments are priceless.

Last week my son was born...yesterday at age 14 I was teaching him how to shave...time flies...enjoy each moment.

That's a nice story Mr P. Elmer's tale reminds me of when I used to "help" my dad fix things when I was small.
I like the story about the little girl "helping" some builders who were working for the neighbours, building an extension. At the end of the week they made up a small wage packet, with a shiny sixpence (or modern equivalent) in it. She was very proud of this, so on Monday her mother took her into town to put her "wages" in the bank, just like a proper grown up.
"And how did you earn this?" said the man behind the counter in the bank.
"I've been building a house" said the little girl.
"Oh, how exciting!" said the man. "And will you be building a house this week too?"
"I will if we can get the f*cking bricks." she replied.:blush:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I remember being Daddy's little helper. Gran had just moved into an OAP flat just round the corner from us. Gran wanted a few shelves putting up but there was one problem - Dad hated his mother-in-law with a passion but Mum persuaded him. No sooner had we walked in when Dad's face went white and said "Peter, Nellie, get out quick, I'll have to phone the Police!" What was the problem? Gran has a nice blazing coal fire going and sitting on either side of the hearth were two WWI incendiary bombs - still live!

Tetedelacourse

My 2.5 yrold wanted to help me adjust my youngest's cot cos she's almost mastered how to climb out. I said ok, you can hold these bolts, keep them safe. Predictably, I got into a spot of bother and became entangled with the cot. After I'd managed to break free I looked round and no helper. I searched all over the house til eventually I found her in the fitted wardrobe in our room, keeping the bolts safe! Awwwww, instant hug required.

ChrisKH

Guru
It's very difficult to get them involved and get the job done I find. Recently during a bit of gardening I asked my eldest for help and he said 'what's it worth?' So recognising the Capitalist in him I said he would get five pence for every rotten apple he transported (dropped apples) to the mulching bin.

260 apples later and I think I've learned my lesson. It would also have helped if he hadn't started pulling them off the trees....................

Speaking as someone who seems to be a touch younger than the majority on this thread, spending time with my father doing DIY in and out of the house are some of my best childhood memories.

Most vivid are

• When he gave me my own proper wood saw after I had spent ages practicing with him. I was so proud, and still have it.
  • Helping dig out the foundations for the shed, and building the shed.
  • Helping to cut up one of the trees in the garden that blew over in a storm.
  • My earliest memory is of holding the screws for my sisters cot. I don't remember the room or anything but holding onto the screws with both hands, sitting cross legged on a light pink carpet is my first ever memory.

A lot of my friends either have no idea how to DIY, certainly have never mixed cement and it was all so much fun.

I still like doing things with my dad now, its a great chance for us to spend time together, working as a father son team.

So I urge you fathers - even if it takes twice as long, get your kids involved.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
It's very difficult to get them involved and get the job done I find. Recently during a bit of gardening I asked my eldest for help and he said 'what's it worth?' So recognising the Capitalist in him I said he would get five pence for every rotten apple he transported (dropped apples) to the mulching bin.

260 apples later and I think I've learned my lesson. It would also have helped if he hadn't started pulling them off the trees....................

Our Dad did something similar with us and the dropped needles off the Christmas tree left on the carpet after the tree had been chucked out. I think we got a penny for twenty or something like that.

U

User482

I remember "helping" my granddad to replace the bottom hose on his car, I reckon I was about 4 years old. Apparently he couldn't find his spanner - I'd taken it to fix my toy tractor.

Top Bottom