Thoughts on Lance Armstrong. ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Seriously you think he wants to make a competitive comeback? He would need more than a few gallons of EPO nowadays. I believe he wants to ride/run general events not pro cycling.
Simple, he thrives on adrenalin and competition. Most pro sportsmen do and they go on a real downer when they have to retire.

(And yeah, I know what some smart ar$e is going to replace adrenalin with).

solitaire

Über Member
Basically the geezers a cheat.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Simple, he thrives on adrenalin and competition. Most pro sportsmen do and they go on a real downer when they have to retire.

(And yeah, I know what some smart ar$e is going to replace adrenalin with).
I was asking the question if anyone truly believes he wants or even could race pro, as in Astana etc. I also appreciate that he is still competitive, it appears he runs more than cycles these days anyway.

For the record I still like him - Not as a fanboy just purely I think I can understand what happened to a certain extent and I really do believe the vast majority of elite sports are at it at some level, both then and now.

Prepares for incoming.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was asking the question if anyone truly believes he wants or even could race pro, as in Astana etc. I also appreciate that he is still competitive, it appears he runs more than cycles these days anyway.

For the record I still like him - Not as a fanboy just purely I think I can understand what happened to a certain extent and I really do believe the vast majority of elite sports are at it at some level, both then and now.

Prepares for incoming.
I never liked him while he was racing, not just because I was certain he was doping but because of his bullying attitude. But now he's fallen from grace I can look at what he did with a certain amount of understanding, and dare I say it a bit of admiration. I think the time to stop kicking a man is when he's down, he says he's sorry for the way he's treated people and he's apologised to a few. Sincere or not, who knows? But I think he's right to be miffed at a certain amount of hypocrisy regarding the lenient treatment of other dopers and we must remember Lemond was never the saint he is now made out to be, the 1982 World Championship road race springs to mind.

U

User169

He wouldn't be competitive on the bike, but his aim was/is more for ironman triathlon.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... and we must remember Lemond was never the saint he is now made out to be, the 1982 World Championship road race springs to mind.
I had to look up what happened ... THIS.

It sounds like it was an unfortunate action and I can see why it was frowned upon, but I can also see Lemond's POV.

I don't think that would rank anywhere near Armstrong on the Evilometer!

Here's the reason I wouldn't go anywhere near SRAM products; SRAM president, Stan Day, speaking in 2008 after Armstrong invested millions of dollars in the company:

"It's great to have that kind of intelligent money, really knowledgeable money to be part of the company," SRAM president Stan Day told Cyclingnews. "It's a small piece of the total investment but it is a meaningful piece to be sure. We are excited that Lance is interested in riding are components and investing in our components, and that is a great combination."

Day was present at the press conference where Armstrong gave details about his comeback and his opinions on doping in cycling and sport in general. "I agree with him," said Day. "We have rules. Let's test for it and if somebody gets caught, kick him out and get on the with the sport. Quit whining about it! We are all big grown men at this point and if somebody breaks the rules, get out and keep playing the game."

hoopdriver

Guru
As someone who was a Lance sceptic from the early days, I have to say now I'm rather warming to him. He got hammered, quite rightly because he was a bully who trampled on anyone who got in his way. But as for the doping itself, as I said many moons ago had I been a pro I'd have been at it too if only because most others were. His fault was taking it too far, but he's a complex and fascinating character and someone I'd love to spend an evening in a bar with.

I have to admit to having a soft spot for villains, provided of course I haven't been one of their victims. And as I never rode a Trek or wore a yellow wristband I wasn't one of Lances. Naughty man, but perversely he is probably more responsible for cleaning up the sport more than any other individual.
I agree.

I also think his life ban is unfair in that others who doped got off with far lighter sentences for the same or similar offences. Bjarne Riis, an acknowledged doper not only kept his yellow jersey but is managing a team. Where's the justice there?

If a life ban is worthy punishment then they should all receive it. You can't give someone a stiffer punishment simply because they are unlikeable.

shadow master

I agree.

I also think his life ban is unfair in that others who doped got off with far lighter sentences for the same or similar offences. Bjarne Riis, an acknowledged doper not only kept his yellow jersey but is managing a team. Where's the justice there?

If a life ban is worthy punishment then they should all receive it. You can't give someone a stiffer punishment simply because they are unlikeable.
I think he's more interested in a coach/team role than anything!,I wonder if his bike business would have survived over here?I doubt it the Americans have to hold onto the little success they had!Greg lemond reckons lance was a top 30 tour rider at best if he was natural!!!!

hoopdriver

Guru
I think he's more interested in a coach/team role than anything!,I wonder if his bike business would have survived over here?I doubt it the Americans have to hold onto the little success they had!Greg lemond reckons lance was a top 30 tour rider at best if he was natural!!!!
I've read that assessment by Lemond too. Hard to say. Lemond certainly has an axe to grind. And they never competed against each other. Whatever else Armstrong has (or hadn't) going for him physically I do not think there is any question that he posseses an extraordinary streak of ruthlessness, competitiveness, attention to detail and ability to focus that would have lifted him above the common mien in the peloton.

Yes, of course, at 43 his interests would be mainly management, coaching although with the occasional ride in some kind of masters race.

Ignore the lying, bullying, cheat. The world would be a lot better place if ALL media ignored him.

Apologies to anyone who has said similar after page 1 of this thread. I couldn't face trawling thru more.

hoopdriver

Guru
Ignore the lying, bullying, cheat. The world would be a lot better place if ALL media ignored him.

Apologies to anyone who has said similar after page 1 of this thread. I couldn't face trawling thru more.
The entire world would be improved if the media in all its guises ignored Lance Armstrong? What an easy fix - Ebola, ISIS, child poverty, malaria, hunger, climate change, Third World debt, (First World debt for that matter) and the resurgence of the Cold War all sorted...

Top Bottom