Thoughts on wether this Derailleur is really bent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ok, random question time I'm on the lookout for a 12 speed SRAM Eagle Derailleur for a possible future project and came across this one on Ebay Kleinanzeigen (German Gumtree).

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...-fach-schaltwerk-mtb-1x12/1878130676-217-3542

Now the description translated reads:

"The rear derailleur was in use for approx. 3000 km and has normal signs of wear, see photos.

After replacing the cassette, the chain and the shift cable, the gearshift could no longer be adjusted correctly. According to my dealer, the rear derailleur is bent - that's why I'm offering it here as DEFECTIVE!"

Now looking at the photos, I can't see any issues beyond a bit of scuffing on the body. I would expect a crash to bend the hanger, rather than the derailleur. This Eagle mechs are tough old things and I'm curious over wether it really is bent and the issue didn't lie elsewhere in the system.

Now I know nobody can definitely know without having it physically in your hands, but I'd be interested in peoples views and thoughts on this one. Am I mad for even pondering it, or is it worth a punt?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you’ve got €39 to gamble roll the dice.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is the crux of the matter not this:

After replacing the cassette, the chain and the shift cable, the gearshift could no longer be adjusted correctly.

It doesn't actually mention the solution, but I am assuming that a new derailleur fixed the problem. If that IS the case, then it suggests that the derailleur for sale is in fact bent. That's not to say of course that some bending of the cage might work to re-align it. But yes, it's a gamble!

OP
OP
chriswoody

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Is the crux of the matter not this:
It doesn't actually mention the solution, but I am assuming that a new derailleur fixed the problem. If that IS the case, then it suggests that the derailleur for sale is in fact bent. That's not to say of course that some bending of the cage might work to re-align it. But yes, it's a gamble!

The word that got me thinking was "after" suggesting that before he changed the cassette, chain and shift cable, everything was hunky dory and it was only after the changes that there was an issue. I read it as chain, cassette and cable change as routine maintenance, rather than in response to a problem, which is why I was intrigued. You could well be right though and I'm just trying to justify things to myself.

I'll fire off a quick question asking wether there was a problem before the change or after, which would clarify things a bit.

@Cycleops I'm a terrible gambler and a little tight, which is why I was hesitating to throw away 40 Euros needlessly!

Top Bottom