Threadlock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yup I too am a "real engineer" & I use it regularly on machine rebuilds.
On bikes I tend to use a dab of 243 (medium strength) on brake caliper mount bolts & rotor bolts, chainring bolts & handlebar clamp screws.

Sounds like you understand the different grades which I don't, so I'm probably best leaving the stuff well alone.

Having said that, I did have handlebar clamp bolts come loose on one occasion.

I was trundling along at my usual 10-12mph, but there was still a few nervous seconds as I came to an untidy halt.

Could have been nasty if there was any motor traffic about.

I do try to go round the bike with a multi tool occasionally and nip up anything that needs it.

I occasionally put a dab of nail lacquer on a thread for extra security, but quite rarely. The dedicated branded stuff seems a bit pricey to me, being a cheapskate ^_^

rrarider

Veteran
I occasionally put a dab of nail lacquer on a thread for extra security, but quite rarely. The dedicated branded stuff seems a bit pricey to me, being a cheapskate ^_^
I do use nail varnish sometimes for the tiny screws on old cameras and find it does a good job. I've not tried it on a thread bigger than a couple of millimetres.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I used to use it on motorbikes all the time, for any fastener that might vibrate loose and/or had awkward access - luggage racks, handlebar mounts, crash bars and aftermarket frame protection always. I don't use it often on a bicycle, mainly because most things are easy to get at and check. I tend to use it on carrier racks and mudguard stays, which IME tend to vibrate loose more than anything else.

Used properly, threadlock doesn't stop anyone dismantling parts. It just means that the thread still offers friction even after the initial slackening of a nut or bolt. Taking it apart, you have to battle it off all the way, not just loosen and spin it off by hand. But it does mean that although a fastener might work loose, it won't actually vibrate off before it is noticed. I don't understand the chemistry, but it seems that it cures in the absence of oxygen. In the container there is always a large air space which ensures that it stays liquid, but once on a thread and tightened up, oxygen is excluded and the threadlock cures. Clever stuff.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I bought some 'blue' threadlock but, confusingly, it's in a red bottle!

Drago

Legendary Member
Im an amateur engineer - I own a comprehensive Glasgow Socket Set.

I never use thread lock on a bicycle.

I use it on my car or motorbikes where specified by the manufacture.

Dan77

Had to use it for my rear mudguard as it was a blind hole. Would rather use a nut where possible. Absolutely no need for threadlock on a bike where you can get a nut on.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I’m very much not an engineer and have had issues with fixings working loose (rack mounts). I choose to solve the problem with a sprung washer, which works well.

Will I be put in the stocks for such an offence?

Top Bottom