Threadlock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not a big fan of Loctite either, and I'm also an engineer. It has it's uses, but it makes subsequent disassembly of parts a right pain, in the same way undoing a nyloc nut on a rusty thread is a pain. If I really don't want something coming loose, I tend to double-nut it using plain nuts and a flat washer. The bonus is the secondary nut reduces thread corrosion, and if you use anti-seize or grease on the thread you are pretty much guaranteed the fastener will easily come apart when you want it to in future but won't work loose when you don't want it to.
Widely used in my industry. Most loctite, blue, red and green can be and are made to be removable with hand tools and also heat. We apply heat to melt and free the loctite and hand tools to remove the bolt

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Most loctite, blue, red and green can be and are made to be removable with hand tools and also heat. We apply heat to melt and free the loctite and hand tools to remove the bolt

You can't always apply heat as there may be things in the way you don't want to set fire to, and if physical access is restricted then you really don't want to have to use an open-ended spanner to undo a long fastener a couple of flats at a time. With torque fastening, once you break the seal you can undo the fastener with your fingers if the thread is in good condition, which saves a lot of messing about. Loctite has it's uses, but really it's limited to things with easy access and/or absolutely no need for subsequent maintenance disassembly. It's often used as a bodge for damaged threads that can't be tightened properly, not it's actual purpose.

You can't always apply heat as there may be things in the way you don't want to set fire to, and if physical access is restricted then you really don't want to have to use an open-ended spanner to undo a long fastener a couple of flats at a time. With torque fastening, once you break the seal you can undo the fastener with your fingers if the thread is in good condition, which saves a lot of messing about. Loctite has it's uses, but really it's limited to things with easy access and/or absolutely no need for subsequent maintenance disassembly. It's often used as a bodge for damaged threads that can't be tightened properly, not it's actual purpose.
This is true, except for the bodge bit. Having drilled, tapped and installed the new sleeves and instrumentation into casings I don’t think loctite is used to bodge anything. But yes we do have easier access in areas it’s used. As for open ended spanner’s a couple of flats at a time.... daily, regular occurrence when squashed deep underneath, limited space to work, machine, move but little choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom