Threadlock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will Spin

Über Member
I do use locktite but only in a few instances. I'm not sure if it's really necessary on a bike though. Some parts are supplied with threadlock already on the bolts or male threaded parts (e.g. brake calipers, stem bolts) and I wonder if they do this for fear of litigation in case someone suffers from something coming loose and then deciding to blame the manufacturer.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Some parts are supplied with threadlock already on the bolts or male threaded parts (e.g. brake calipers, stem bolts) and I wonder if they do this for fear of litigation in case someone suffers from something coming loose and then deciding to blame the manufacturer.
This I think is the main reason for it's use in most situations, rather than any mechanical justification.

weareHKR

Loctite technically is an adhesive, but like most things, the choices of adhesives we have now are developed for specific purposes each has their areas of speciality.
The loctite we're talking about here is specifically designed for thread locking, whilst there are alternatives, loctite is a good all round adhesive for most steel fasteners that will withstand vibration, extreme temperatures, also oil resistant & water resistant.
Nothing to say you can't try something different, I guess we've all tried glueing something at some point in our lives only to see it fall apart in no time at all, and when the wife says "I thought you'd fixed that?" "yeah but l didn't have the right glue!"
At the end of the day if you need to stick something together I can almost guarantee we'll pop along to B&Q and spend half an hour looking for an adhesive that will suit your very purpose.
Loctite is just that, an adhesive for a specific purpose, it's just another choice.

Repaired a suitcase yesterday Samsonite. Huge hard case. Use it when foraging/scrounging when holidaying. Bringing back cider from Herefordshire etc. On the way back from Herefordshire the whole pull handle came off. The lot just ripped of when I was changing trains.
Used nuts and bolts with washers and thinking about whats been said on here about threadlock being completely unnecessary, lashing and lashing of threadlock.
Belts and braces.

Repaired a suitcase yesterday Samsonite. Huge hard case. Use it when foraging/scrounging when holidaying. Bringing back cider from Herefordshire etc. On the way back from Herefordshire the whole pull handle came off. The lot just ripped of when I was changing trains.
Used nuts and bolts with washers and thinking about whats been said on here about threadlock being completely unnecessary, lashing and lashing of threadlock.
Belts and braces.
for real belt and braces some "chicago bolts"?
also called "sex bolts" i understand after some diy ebay research the other day.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm a big fan of nyloc nuts, especially on hot exhaust manifold studs.
"THERMAL PROPERTIES Most nylon insert locknuts are manufactured from Zytel 101 which has an effective temperature range up to 250 ° F. Zytel 103 has a higher effective range to 350 ° F and can be special ordered for your higher heat applications. The insert is available in a wide range of colors: white, green, yellow, red, orange, purple and blue to name a few. The coloring does not add or take away from the performance and is mainly used to identify the manufacturer. Nylon is the most resistant thermo-plastic resin today. As temperatures increase, it will retain resistance to softening until the maximum degree is reached at which point it melts immediately. On the other hand, with a decrease in temperature, the tensile strength increases and it will have excellent flexibility allowing locking action to continue even in sub-zero temperatures."
PS I'm am not suggesting that threadlocker would be any use in this employment.

C R

Guru
"THERMAL PROPERTIES Most nylon insert locknuts are manufactured from Zytel 101 which has an effective temperature range up to 250 ° F. Zytel 103 has a higher effective range to 350 ° F and can be special ordered for your higher heat applications. The insert is available in a wide range of colors: white, green, yellow, red, orange, purple and blue to name a few. The coloring does not add or take away from the performance and is mainly used to identify the manufacturer. Nylon is the most resistant thermo-plastic resin today. As temperatures increase, it will retain resistance to softening until the maximum degree is reached at which point it melts immediately. On the other hand, with a decrease in temperature, the tensile strength increases and it will have excellent flexibility allowing locking action to continue even in sub-zero temperatures."
PS I'm am not suggesting that threadlocker would be any use in this employment.
I think master @Drago may have not been entirely serious in his suggestion ...

Top Bottom